[SOLVED] Need help with network related issue

RadicalRazor78

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
I have Verizon unlimited hotspot, but it constantly disconnects on my phone while staying connected at the same time in windows only allowing access to youtube on my PC until I reset my hotspot. I am also a VR gamer and find it annoying having to constantly reset my phone hospot to use virtual desktop on my Quest 2.

Is it possible to create some sort of permanent hotspot in windows 11 without actually having internet? I have already tried other options such as turning off power saving mode on my windows Hotspot, and my power plan is set to high perf. In fact, it is not just my PC, all devices stop connecting until hotspot reset on my phone.

Last edited:
Solution
are you using one of these Verizon Unlimited Mobile Hotspot Review 2022 | Wirefly verizon hotspot devices? if so you might want to connect to the hotspot via browser enter http://192.168.1.1 in your browser
then find the setting that does software updates and see if you can update the firmware of the device.

I am guessing that the windows device also gets disconnected but windows default is to auto reconnect. Your phone may not do this automatically.

these are pretty slow devices and if one device like windows is sending data, it could cause another device to timeout and disconnect. if that is not the case, I would check for a firmware update on the hotspot.

Yes, you should be able to set up a local mobile...
are you using one of these Verizon Unlimited Mobile Hotspot Review 2022 | Wirefly verizon hotspot devices? if so you might want to connect to the hotspot via browser enter http://192.168.1.1 in your browser
then find the setting that does software updates and see if you can update the firmware of the device.

I am guessing that the windows device also gets disconnected but windows default is to auto reconnect. Your phone may not do this automatically.

these are pretty slow devices and if one device like windows is sending data, it could cause another device to timeout and disconnect. if that is not the case, I would check for a firmware update on the hotspot.

Yes, you should be able to set up a local mobile hotspot on windows. I have not done this. I have only have connected the phone to the router then to the windows pc but I had to make a change in the router for the access point isolation that blocks the wireless side of the router from talking to the wired side of the router where the PC was hard wired in.
(not really a hot spot in my case, just server access)

I would suspect you could set up a direct hotspot from the pc, then set up permissions for your phone to access the pc. have not done it before. you might start here to get the basics set up.
Use your Windows PC as a mobile hotspot (microsoft.com)

note: just tried it on my windows laptop and my android phone was able to connect directly to the shared connection on the laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadicalRazor78
Solution

RadicalRazor78

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for the advice. I did figure out one of my issues and kind of came up with an imperfect solution. I created a static IP and optionally went ahead and added Cloudflare's public DNS in windows, which now allows me to stay connected uninterrupted. However, if I reset the hotspot I have to set my static config in windows back to auto config again to get the new default gateway since the Hotspot gateway changes every time.

Turns out it was timing out on my phone for some reason, could be signal since I have to place my phone in a sweet spot to get 4 bars. The phone would reconnect partially, but would not update the new gateway until a hotspot reset. I still don't know why it would allow Youtube but nothing else. Anyhow, even if my phone hotspot bugs out I can at least connect my my Oculus VR to my windows hotspot now without it turning off.

Last edited: