Need Help With New SSD

rehanchaudhry2

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Hi, so recently I've bought a "SP Sata 3 Solid State Drive Slim S55" it's 120Gb. I decided to put my operating system on it however my HDD that has Windows on it is 1Tb. I decided to just copy over the partitions that I thought I needed as you can see in the following.

Link
Link

Then I made sure I was booting from the SSD, I put my computer in IDE mode from AHCI I even enabled csm mode but whenever I boot from the SSD it's just a black screen telling me to boot from a bootable device.

I have a i5-4440s, 1150 LGA, Gtx 1050ti, ASUSTek Computer Inc M11ad Motherboard, and my Bios is American Megatrends; Version 0302 (If any of this helps)

Solution
1. First of all your SATA controller mode should be AHCI and not IDE. If the current mode is IDE as it appears to be from your post - change it to AHCI. Do a Google search for "changing sata controller mode from IDE to AHCI windows (indicate OS)" if you don't know how to accomplish this. BUT IT SHOULD BE DONE, capiche?

2. I would hazard a guess at this point that either you did not correctly use the Macrium Reflect program (the apparent disk-cloning program you used) and that's the source of the problem you're experiencing (in addition to the incorrect SATA controller mode), or the disk-cloning operation was successful but you failed to disconnect the source (1 TB) drive IMMEDIATELY following the d-c operation so that the intial boot...

Ralston18

Titan
As I view your links, your existing Windows Partition is just by itself almost 150 GB.

Your new SSD is 120 GB.

SSD is too small.

You need a larger SSD and you need to follow some procedure to ensure the clone is properly created.

E.g.:

https://www.howtogeek.com/284677/how-to-upgrade-to-a-larger-hard-drive-without-reinstalling-windows/

Jacob_146

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
another thing you could do is back up the stuff you need and then completely wipe the drive so you just have windows on it and then clone that over to the ssd then wipe the 1tb and put the rest of the stuff on that.

rehanchaudhry2

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

In the second image I show everything fit in the drive the partition is 150 GB but the actual space is around 90 GB, do I have to have the whole partition in the ssd even if its not using all the space ?

1. First of all your SATA controller mode should be AHCI and not IDE. If the current mode is IDE as it appears to be from your post - change it to AHCI. Do a Google search for "changing sata controller mode from IDE to AHCI windows (indicate OS)" if you don't know how to accomplish this. BUT IT SHOULD BE DONE, capiche?

2. I would hazard a guess at this point that either you did not correctly use the Macrium Reflect program (the apparent disk-cloning program you used) and that's the source of the problem you're experiencing (in addition to the incorrect SATA controller mode), or the disk-cloning operation was successful but you failed to disconnect the source (1 TB) drive IMMEDIATELY following the d-c operation so that the intial boot to the system would be ONLY with the SSD (the recipient of the clone) connected. You might want to comment on this

3. From what I can determine from the DM screenshot, there's no reason why you could not successfully clone the contents of the C:\ partition of your 1 TB boot HDD over to your 120 GB SSD so that the SSD would become your new boot drive and then utilize the 1 TB HDD as a secondary drive.

Solution