Question Need help with no internet problem

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I had left my computer on for the last 3 days as it was doing some backup work to my NAS. I decided to restart it this morning and after I did, the internet came on but then went off. I tried doing troubleshooting, but that didn't fix anything. I then went to device manager to uninstall the network adapter but it just kept uninstalling. It wouldn't stop. It tried to uninstall for over 15 minutes. The green bar just kept moving but nothing is happened.
I then restarted the computer, and when it came back on, the internet worked for a couple of minutes and then it just went off on this computer. There is network and internet everywhere else just not on my computer.
When I did a troubleshoot again the ethernet adapter became disabled and I could not enable it. I had to do a restart and the same thing happened. The internet came on, but after a couple of minutes it went off and nothing I did could fix it.
I am trying to uninstall the driver again, but it is doing the same thing. It just keeps running.
What do I need to try? I've never had anything like this happen before, so I'm kind of lost on what else I need to try.

What do you see if you do IPCONFIG /all. Does the ethernet say disconnected or does it look like it might be partially functional.

If it is disconnected it could be a bad cable. Could have been it was warm and when it cooled down one of the wire came loose inside the plug end. A new cable is going to be the cheapest thing to try. You need nothing real special cat5e unless cat6 is cheaper. You need to make sure it is a pure copper cable (no CCA) and has wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable). If you can not find this information look at a different vendor. Reputable vendors know about all the fake cable being sold and put the specs in their listing so you know why it might cost a little more.

It could also be a bad port when it is disconnected. That is a pain you are going to have to use a PCIE internal card or a USB3 external nic device.

If the ipconfig command show anything else try to post it here

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Tried new cables and no go. I put in a different card and it now works.
The card would not uninstall, and when I did the troubleshooter it would disable the card and I could never enable it again.
I tried device manager uninstall and it wouldn't work. I tried everything I could but nothing worked to uninstall the driver in the card.
The different card I am using works, so I guess the card on my board went bad. Is that a bad sign for my board?

Not really it could have just fried that one chip that runs the port. I had a lightning strike somewhere close and it burned out a bunch of ethernet ports in equipment. Other than things like a tivo or something I could just use add in cards and I have seen no issues since.

Lightning is very strange. All my equipment has both UPS as well as another surge protector. Not sure how it manged to get into the ethernet cables and it messed up things not even on the same network in different areas of the house.

Then again it could just be your random equipment failure. I would check all your USB ports to make sure they work but you likely are ok. A actual bad motherboard you tend to get stuff like freeze or crash to blue screen.