Need Help with Online Shopping Return Policies

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018
I need help with how online shopping returns work. In case my parts are incompatible or something goes wrong with the product i receive i want to know how online returns work(This is specifically on open box returns).
Im confused, if i site says that it has open box returns does the company/person selling need to specify there return policies too? do different sites have different rules? is it completely the sellers option and if so where do i look to know?
Since there are a lot of online shopping websites ill list the few i want to know about.
Newegg(Canada)
Amazon(Canada)

Solution

If it comes with a CPU cooler (I believe it does), it already has paste applied. You do not need extra.

Fans? There are 2 already installed in the case. Are you sure you need 3...

USAFRet

Titan
Amazon, Sold and Fulfilled By Amazon, is generally very, very good with returns, in the first 30 days.
Amazon Marketplace...you're at the mercy of whoever that 3rd party is. Not much different than ebay.

Same with Newegg.

But all sites have their own rules.

So, you just have to be careful and verify exactly where it is coming from, who is selling it, and read the specific return policies.

And "incompatible parts" ?
Do your homework, and that won't be an issue.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

I Checked on pc part picker it was compatible but i heard it can be incorrect at times. I also watched a video on compatibility and it would take me forever to learn everything if PC part picker is enough then ill just buy the parts but if you spot anything that could be an issue in this build then telling me would be pretty nice.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2x99r6

USAFRet

Titan
Compatibility is not necessarily optimal performance, within a specific budget.

pcpartpicker should not be your only source for compatibility.
It is a good start, but you need to look elsewhere as well. And ask questions. Lots and lots of questions.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

Where are some good places to start?

USAFRet

Titan
For instance:

120GB SSD - Too small, and sort of a cheesy model. Look towards a 250GB drive. You will be living with thing a couple of years. Going cheap now will result in tears later.

Fans - Do you need 3 extra fans?

Thermal paste - why the extra stuff?

Open box parts - Why? If you're unsure, and this is your first lap around the track...are you sure you want to go down that road? They typically have much shorter warranties.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

do you mean why a whole tube of thermal paste? should i use stock paste and for this build are any fans necessary?

USAFRet

Titan

If it comes with a CPU cooler (I believe it does), it already has paste applied. You do not need extra.

Fans? There are 2 already installed in the case. Are you sure you need 3 more?
More is not always better.

CPU/Motherboard.
You have a non-OC capable CPU, and a OC capable motherboard. It works, but if you're thinking of an overclock later, you need a different CPU.

That's the kind of compatibility that pcpp does not pick up on.

What OS are you putting in this? Is that in your budget?

Solution

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

are there any cpus in my price range that can overclock or should i just get a b360 mobo or go amd idk