[SOLVED] Need help with overclocking 2600 on b450 tomahawk!

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone. I have a ryzen 5 2600 and a b450 tomahawk and I want to oc the cpu to 4ghz. Can someone help me? I change the cpu ratio to 40.00(4000mhz) and when I try to go change the cpu core voltage it gives me two options to choose from; override mode and offset mode. Which one should I click? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Quick and dirty overview of overclocking validation procedure.

Set CPU multiplier and voltage at desired settings in BIOS. Do not use presets or automatic utilities. These will overcompensate on core and other voltages. It is much better to configure most core settings manually, and leave anything left over on auto until a later point in time if wish to come back and tweak settings such as cache (Uncore) frequency, System agent voltage, VCCIO (Internal memory controller) and memory speeds or timings (RAM) AFTER the CPU overclock is fully stable.

Save bios settings (As a new BIOS profile if your bios supports multiple profiles) and exit bios.

Boot into the Windows desktop environment. Download and install Prime95...

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Yes, but you would have to ensure its stable thermally and doesnt crash under load.

I highly suggest reading or watching a tutorial. You cannot simply guess on settings or copy someone else's.
I have watched a tutorial, here it is:
View: https://youtu.be/mLG8U0vejfE

Skip to 21:47. He says that it's fine to copy his settings if using the same cpu.
What do you think?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Skip to 21:47. He says that it's fine to copy his settings if using the same cpu.
What do you think?
No, every CPU is different, even if they're the same model. Using his settings might work great, or they might be unstable, or they might be suboptimal. Read a proper guide like the one linked above rather than going off what some chucklehead on youtube says.

That's true, but I was not pointing to the idea of using PBO, Rather, I was referencing methodology for voltage offsets. Maybe I should have spent my time finding something more specific, however the OP didn't ask HOW to use offsets. They simply asked whether or not they should use offsets or override.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
That's true, but I was not pointing to the idea of using PBO, Rather, I was referencing methodology for voltage offsets. Maybe I should have spent my time finding something more specific, however the OP didn't ask HOW to use offsets. They simply asked whether or not they should use offsets or override.
Thanks for the reply, but I don't have a clue what offsets do/are. I just want to oc my cpu to 4ghz. Do I select override and then bump up the voltage a bit everytime until it's stable and it doesn't thermal throttle/crash?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016