[SOLVED] Need help with overclocking and keeping temps low

C87756

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
Hi I recently benchmarked my cpu i7 6700k on cinebench and the temps were about 85-90 degrees. I used the bios to overclock, I think the auto setting put on a 13% increase. My temps rose to 99 degrees. I also removed my stock cpu fan and replaced it with a noctua 92mm but the noctua is 400rpm less than my cooler master stock fan. Any tips on how to reduce temps or if I should dial back the oc a bit?

Solution
Step 1) stop using EZ mode.
Step 2) What are you using for cooling?
Step 3) Read: https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/74...e-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index.html

What you are running into is the core voltage being set too high. This will instantly lead to overheating and throttling which is why you are getting a lower score despite the higher boost clock. You have to find a balance between temperature, clock speed, voltage, and stability.

Been a while but I recall Skylake was able to get up to 4.8Ghz with great cooling and a good chip. Average chip is probably looking at a reliable 4.6Ghz, or 400Mhz overclock.
If your non-overclocked temperature was 85-90 degrees during cinebench even a mild overclock probably isn't a good idea.

What specific Noctua cooler did you get? Are those temperatures with the Noctua or your stock fan? If they're with the Noctua, are you sure you installed it correctly?

Last edited:

C87756

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
If your non-overclocked temperature was 85-90 degrees during cinebench even a mild overclock probably isn't a good idea.

What specific Noctua cooler did you get? Are those temperatures with the Noctua or your stock fan? If they're with the Noctua, are you sure you installed it correctly?
It’s a Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM and yes I’m pretty sure I installed correctly. I honestly think cpuid is lying because the cpu cooler did not heat up and the air coming from it was cool. I’ve played games on ultra settings and you notice the heat coming from the system.

C87756

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
It’s a Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM and yes I’m pretty sure I installed correctly. I honestly think cpuid is lying because the cpu cooler did not heat up and the air coming from it was cool. I’ve played games on ultra settings and you notice the heat coming from the system.
Sorry I don’t know what happened with the font.

C87756

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022
Hi, I’m using a i7 6700k on a z270h mobo. On default setting it scored 2071 pts on cinebench, I used ez mode which put a 13% oc, my score went up to 2256 but my temp rose to 99 Celsius. I tried to dial it back and set it to 10% but now on cinebench it scores 2010 points and the temps are higher than when it was at 13%

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Step 3) Read: https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/74...e-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index.html

What you are running into is the core voltage being set too high. This will instantly lead to overheating and throttling which is why you are getting a lower score despite the higher boost clock. You have to find a balance between temperature, clock speed, voltage, and stability.

Been a while but I recall Skylake was able to get up to 4.8Ghz with great cooling and a good chip. Average chip is probably looking at a reliable 4.6Ghz, or 400Mhz overclock.

Solution

C87756

Prominent
Jan 6, 2022

Amazing reply. Thank you.

Hi, I’m using a i7 6700k on a z270h mobo.
We still have no idea, what cpu cooler you are using.
Is it Intel stock cooler?

6141Re3OnKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg