Need Help with overclocking gpu

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
So I've only recently decided to push my R9 390 Sapphire TRI X a little bit further on MSI Afterburner and Valley Benchmark.STOCK clock[1040,1500]
However,I cant seem to get a stable OC[1100,1600] at all,keeps getting 'flashing white/blue dots on my monitor'.I've turned up the voltages by 38mhz and power limit by 15% alr.
Any experts willing to help up?
My RIG if it helps:
MSI Krait Gaming Z170
I5-6600K 3.5Ghz[lowered down from 4.1ghz to see if it solves this unstable problem]
2x8 corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz
Corsair RMi750

Solution
Temperature is high, you want to turn up the voltage on the core to try and stabilize it and that will bring the temp down, otherwise you may need to back down the overclock. Where is your memory set to?

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Yes,i turned both up.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Back off the overclock on the memory but keep the voltage. If it still remains back them both off.

Yes you can do long term damage by pushing the overclock too far and keeping it that way.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Well,first of all.Thank you for the quick replies.I just ran a benchmark on stock settings on valley,temps still good at 75 degrees.However,if i were to push it to 1100mhz core clock and above,without touching voltage or anything else,these dots starts to appear.What's the solution to this?Sometimes the temperature even climbs to 80-85 degrees.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Well,right now after hearing that memory overheating may damage the card,i'm just letting the card sitting at default clock, 1040 core clock with 1500 memory clock.Oh,so by turning up voltage,u can actually stabilize it and bring the temp down?I have always thought more voltage = more heat.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its more like too much clock without the voltage = more heat. Its a bit more complicated than that but its almost like running an engine lean in a car without enough fuel, causes overheating.

Some cards can't overclock a lot, I would try and see what settings some others have put to that specific card, start at half of what they did and then work your way up. 25mhz increments.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Thank you man,this means so much to me as I feel much safer with someone that knows what he's doing.
Last few questions...About the power limit thing,i've seen alot overclock configuration putting it to +50%,what does it really do?
How much addition of voltages is considered too much?because I have once put additional 100 for core voltage,and afraid that i might damage the card alr.Right now it is just sitting at stock's +19.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Power limit just lifts up the card's ability to draw power from the system, you will always need to increase this to ensure the card can get the power it needs for the overclock. Your best bet is to increase the voltage as little as possible. The reason is that increasing the voltage does wear the card faster. So bumping it up a bit to stabilize an overclock is fine, but pushing the overclock and using the voltage to keep it stable is recipe for wearing out your card.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Hi,a little update on my overclocking,i managed to get a core clock of 1090 , memory clock 1625,power limit +50%,core voltage + 38mV,and temp is running valley at constant 80-82 degrees,what steps should i take next?Increase in score and fps isn't that bad about 5-6fps increase and 100+ in score in valley.No artifacts showing up during benchmarking in valley for only 18 scenes.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Ok,something's up...i have been increasing voltages,currently sitting at +50mV,temp doesn't seem to be reducing nor increasing.What's the next step i should take?
UPDATE* Even at +80 core voltage,the temperature is still the same.However,if i take off the case side window,temperature reduces to 70-72 degrees,is this a case cooling issue?if it is,is it intake issue or export?I have 2 h115i supplied stock fans at the front,and 2 phanteks p400 stock fans,1 at the top and the other one at the rear.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok sorry I should have been clearer, voltage can have SOME effect but won't cure all temp issues. You should definitely back that voltage down a lot to where it was. I would worry about case cooling at this point. with 2 fans at the front intake and 2 (top and back) as exhaust you should be good, but if you can add another intake that should help.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
my Case only able to hold 2x140mm fans,which i used the h115i fans for currently,should i change them or i should get the 3 in 1 thermaltake riing rgb fan and put them all as exhaust?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So your 2 intake fans are blowing through the CPU's radiator first before feeding air into the case? What case do you have Phanteks P400?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah thats just about the worst spot for it. The P400 should fit 2 140mm fans at the top, that is where a liquid cooling radiator belongs, as an exhaust at the top, and then have 2 intake cooling fans.

Until you can move that radiator you will be quite limited in your GPU overclocking, there is no way around this. Intakes need to be down low, heat rises.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
now that's a headache,the p400 does not support top radiator..hmmm but h115i rad is pretty thin right?Im gonna test tmr.But now i gotta sleep.Thanks for your companion today man.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No problem anytime. You may need to either back off the overclock or get a different case then. Radiators like that are always meant to be mounted at the top or rear of the case as an exhaust.

Sadric

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
hey,im back.So i look into the position issue of the radiator.And OC3D seems to have a solution,but I am unsure whether it is safe.https://youtu.be/F3K5RPCch4s ,he demonstrated it in his video,by putting the 'radiator' and fan ON the mobo.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Video link is dead :(