[SOLVED] Need help with overclocking x4 965 BE

May 30, 2020
Ok guys i am begginer in pc world and i dont known much about overclocking and that smart stuffs only thing that i love and known is to play games,

now to play games i need a good procesor, but i dont have much money so i bought a x4 965 BE with of course unlocked multiplayer for overclocking,

my motherboard is Asus crosshair III formula and i am using amd stock cooler

so pls anyone who knows how much i can go with this stock cooler this mobo and this procesor pls tell me settings and how to check if its stable.

Oh and aslo i am using a 4 pin connector for cpu beacause my psu doesnt have 8 pin connector so its that a problem with overclocking and how much is safe to overclock it with 4 pin connector instead of 8?

And sorry for my English maybe is bad a little bit.

Last edited:
Ok guys i am begginer in pc world and i dont known much about overclocking and that smart stuffs only thing that i love and known is to play games,

now to play games i need a good procesor, but i dont have much money so i bought a x4 965 BE with of course unlocked multiplayer for overclocking,

my motherboard is Asus crosshair III formula and i am using amd stock cooler

so pls anyone who knows how much i can go with this stock cooler this mobo and this procesor pls tell me settings and how to check if its stable.

Oh and aslo i am using a 4 pin connector for cpu beacause my psu doesnt have 8 pin connector so its that a problem with overclocking and how much is safe to overclock it with 4 pin connector instead of 8?

And sorry for my English maybe is bad a little bit.
That's a good old mb , shouldn't have much trouble with OC providing you can cool it properly. Easiest method is to just raise CPU multiplier a notch, run some benchmark program and check temps and voltages. If stable and cool enough, raise another notch until unstable, than raise voltage a bit and so on. Nobody can tell you how far you can get as it depends on too many factors.
Not that it would make it comparable to any newer systems, but you may eek some more performance out of it. I had a similar one with same CPU and gave it to a kid and he is still playing older games like older GTA and CoD on it.
If you have to sink any money in it, you should be able to find a Phenom II 1060t or 1090t which should give you performance close to FX 6100 or such.

May 30, 2020
That's a good old mb , shouldn't have much trouble with OC providing you can cool it properly. Easiest method is to just raise CPU multiplier a notch, run some benchmark program and check temps and voltages. If stable and cool enough, raise another notch until unstable, than raise voltage a bit and so on. Nobody can tell you how far you can get as it depends on too many factors.
Not that it would make it comparable to any newer systems, but you may eek some more performance out of it. I had a similar one with same CPU and gave it to a kid and he is still playing older games like older GTA and CoD on it.
If you have to sink any money in it, you should be able to find a Phenom II 1060t or 1090t which should give you performance close to FX 6100 or such.

How much far i can go with voltage with no problems?