Need help with PC build. It turns on and off forever.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
[strike]Hello! I have just finished my pc build. I have a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3 G1 Gaming motherboard and 4x4gb ddr4 ram on all the slots. An intel core i5 6400 and the cooler correctly installed. I have a GTX 750 ti GPU. When I turn on the pc, the fans start for about 5 seconds and then the pc turns off completely. Then 5 seconds later it turns on and then 5 sec later back off. You get the idea. What did I do wrong? I checked the cooler, it is correctly plugged in. The ram are well seated. This PC is an upgrade from my last toasty pc. There are some cables like the CD reader cables that were not compatible with my motherboard so I removed them. The only part where I might have messed up is with the GPU. There is a cable ( 6x6 wholes ) that I have to plug into it. But then it splits to 2 different cables. 6 Cables come out of the 6x6 whole, 3 of them go into a 4x4 connectors which i think connect to the power supply, so on both 4x4 cables there is an empty whole. All of the 6 cables from the 6x6 GPU whole that divide into 3 in 2 different cables. . What could be the issue? Do you want me to add a picture of the graphics card?[/strike]

[strike]OLD UPDATE!: I was trying to boot with 4x4gb ddr4 1400 Ghz ram and it gave me a beep error. I removed 3 of them and left only 1 ddr4 4GB ram stick and it managed to boot. Why is it not working with 16 gb of ram? I am running 64 bit windows.[/strike]

NEWER UPDATE! I have booted 2 ram sticks in a dual channel slot, it booted fine, but when I go to task manager it sais that ram available is 2.1GB of the 8 GB I installed, I know windows 10 64 bit uses 2 GB of ram to work, but why does it only show 2.1GB available? It is also written: "Commited: 2.2/7.1 GB" what does this mean? How can I boot 4 sticks of 4 GB of ram on a dual channel pc with 4 ram slots? What is a good website to post pictures or screenshots? (I know there are but I forgot links)

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

I was apparently stupid and did not plug in the motherboard power. Now it turns on some red light that indicate the audio power i guess but it starts beeping 1 beep every second. What does it mean?

Didn't understand this. Can you post a picture, how that looks?

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

You can forget this now, I checked, it is only a PCI E cable but an extention to one, The other pci e cables can't get that far in the motherboard. My problem is, when i turn it on it does 1 2 second long beep and after 5 beeps it turns off.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

1St off, I do not know these kit things very well, I bought a Team DDR4 PC19299 - 4x4 GB 288 pin / cl16 / 2400 mhz. Here is link: https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/dator-natverk/datorkomponenter/ram-minnen/team-ram-minne-dimm-ddr4-pc19200-4-x-4-gb-p97838
I have 4 ram wholes in my motherboard so I thought: Perfect, 4 GB in 4 slots. What is Dual channel? There are 2 black ddr4 slots and 2 red ones. When I put DDR4 sticks in only 1 color it boots up.

When multiple ram modules are sold together, it is called a kit.
That means - those modules are tested for working together.

You're gonna need to manually configure ram settings.
Install 2 ram modules, boot into windows and
post screenshots from CPU-Z memory and spd sections.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Kian_6 : "Dual channel Help?"

Can you run 4 4gb sticks? Yes it will run in dual channel.

You should have bought 2 8gb sticks, running 4 is a waste of money, and limits you from future upgrades.

Try each RAM stick individually, making sure they're seated properly. It could be a bad stick (or more)... it could have been badly seated RAM, it could also be a bad mobo (CPU pins bent, RAM socket contacts). Once all RAM is tested good, try all four sticks again, making sure they are all seated properly. If it still doesn't work, then suspect the MoBo.

If all RAMs are functional and get a post for each one of them in a certain slot, then you must look at your mobo. Bent pins commonly results in such issues, such as no post and power cycles.

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Here are the screenshots: (In the first pic there are things that are circled, I installed 8 GB of ram, why is it saying this?)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153244358@N08/shares/z97j5r
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153244358@N08/shares/n2YG86

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

Are bent pins fixable? How do I know if they are bent?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes, you need to remove the CPU, use a magnifying glass to view the socket, and a jewlers screwdriver to bend any pins that are bent back into place. GENTLY

Kian_6

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

I do not have any jewlers screwdriver, will a screwdriver for glasses work? They are very small too

TRENDING THREADS