COOLER - NZXT Kraken X61
MOBO - Asrock B560 PRO4
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB @3000
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti OC
M.2 SSD - WD Blue SN550 NVMe 1TB
SSD - Crucial MX500 1TB
SSD - Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU - Corsair HX1000

I have 2 possible faults from recent upgrades but not too tech savy to find the culprit. I built my first pc close to a year ago when i got a 2060 and didnt have a single problem with it or my components and ended up selling the 2060 and upgrading to a 3060Ti 3 weeks ago then upgraded my psu from a corsair HX850i to a Corsair HX1000 from umart since it was 7 years old.

I cant remember if the 3060ti was having the issues with my old PSU since the performance increase from the 2060 to the 3060Ti was so much that i didnt notice but the last week or so its been having serious issues.
First issue is now the VGA light on the mobo comes on and stays on for alittle bit then turns off during boot after all the other PSC lights turn off so it thinks in the GPU as do i but it could be the psu.
Second issue is in most games the GPU only hits 30-60% usage which in some games its fine until it stutters or has to alot to load and makes it dip in fps, some but very few still run at 80-100% usage but with less fps then before.
Third issue that confuses me and makes me think it could also be the new PSU is when on restarts and shutdowns the power indicator light on the GPU that is above the 6+2 pin connector turns of for abit then off.
Forth issue is when the screen goes black for alot longer then it ever has when it gets into the desktop screen also if i turn off one of my monitors it also flickers longer then usual and it some other cases it does the same.

Another issue that makes me think its a PSU issue is sometimes on restarts/boot ons all the leds in the PC on all components get dimmer and flicker sometimes aswell.

Everything is seated and connected the same exact way as to when i had the Hx850i and RTX 2060 in the pc so i have no clue if its the GPU or the PSU or both.
Things ive tried. Ive updated my bios, used DDU on the gpu, changed the PCIE lanes from auto to gen 3, tried non xmp and xmp on the ram, tried overclocking and underclocking the gpu, tried different cables from the psu to the components and even tried using the PSU in single and multi rail mode. All things resulted in no changes to the issue.

Dont know if i should RMA the GPU or PSU or both.

Ive got screen shots of HWmonitor, ingame and Hwinfo64 logs

Pics of Ark running with all fresh cables running on single rail mode. - View: https://imgur.com/a/fdOGvBv

Ark running with the first cables i used when i got the new PSU running on multi rail mode. - View: https://imgur.com/a/FBsUFpr

Squad Running on single rail mode - View: https://imgur.com/a/KPM2ffb

Logs - https://mega.nz/file/f2g32ZAK#DR_e5lWWpaN2GibQuU5daZnVyjSoDFBftBDlEIDizCI

Solution
Specs -
CPU - i7 10700K
COOLER - NZXT Kraken X61
MOBO - Asrock B560 PRO4
SSD - Crucial MX500 1TB
SSD - Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU - Corsair HX1000

I have 2 possible faults from recent upgrades but not too tech savy to find the culprit. I built my first pc close to a year ago when i got a 2060 and didnt have a single problem with it or my components and ended up selling the 2060 and upgrading to a 3060Ti 3 weeks ago then upgraded my psu from a corsair HX850i to a Corsair HX1000 from umart since it was 7 years old.

I cant remember if the 3060ti was having the issues with my old PSU since the performance increase from the 2060 to the...
Specs -
CPU - i7 10700K
COOLER - NZXT Kraken X61
MOBO - Asrock B560 PRO4
SSD - Crucial MX500 1TB
SSD - Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU - Corsair HX1000

I cant remember if the 3060ti was having the issues with my old PSU since the performance increase from the 2060 to the 3060Ti was so much that i didnt notice but the last week or so its been having serious issues.
First issue is now the VGA light on the mobo comes on and stays on for alittle bit then turns off during boot after all the other PSC lights turn off so it thinks in the GPU as do i but it could be the psu.
Second issue is in most games the GPU only hits 30-60% usage which in some games its fine until it stutters or has to alot to load and makes it dip in fps, some but very few still run at 80-100% usage but with less fps then before.
Third issue that confuses me and makes me think it could also be the new PSU is when on restarts and shutdowns the power indicator light on the GPU that is above the 6+2 pin connector turns of for abit then off.
Forth issue is when the screen goes black for alot longer then it ever has when it gets into the desktop screen also if i turn off one of my monitors it also flickers longer then usual and it some other cases it does the same.

Another issue that makes me think its a PSU issue is sometimes on restarts/boot ons all the leds in the PC on all components get dimmer and flicker sometimes aswell.

Everything is seated and connected the same exact way as to when i had the Hx850i and RTX 2060 in the pc so i have no clue if its the GPU or the PSU or both.
Things ive tried. Ive updated my bios, used DDU on the gpu, changed the PCIE lanes from auto to gen 3, tried non xmp and xmp on the ram, tried overclocking and underclocking the gpu, tried different cables from the psu to the components and even tried using the PSU in single and multi rail mode. All things resulted in no changes to the issue.

Dont know if i should RMA the GPU or PSU or both.

Ive got screen shots of HWmonitor, ingame and Hwinfo64 logs

Pics of Ark running with all fresh cables running on single rail mode. - View: https://imgur.com/a/fdOGvBv

Ark running with the first cables i used when i got the new PSU running on multi rail mode. - View: https://imgur.com/a/FBsUFpr

Squad Running on single rail mode - View: https://imgur.com/a/KPM2ffb

Logs - https://mega.nz/file/f2g32ZAK#DR_e5lWWpaN2GibQuU5daZnVyjSoDFBftBDlEIDizCI
try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• restart the pc to bios, Flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and ME Driver, then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in the graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Solution

Ob1CanKnowMe

Prominent
Sep 28, 2021
try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• restart the pc to bios, Flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and ME Driver, then reboot.

• Install the latest gpu driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling in the graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
So i did everything in that order and still VGA light on the mobo comes on for the boot then goes away, still low GPU usage and the other issues still persist. I ran GPU-Z while testing the games again and VRrel was on the whole time with Pwr being on for a bit and VOp for a few seconds but went away. Any other tests or ideas to find the issue? I also tried running the GPU in the 2nd slot on the Mobo but that made it lose 20-40 FPS in every game i tested

Last edited:
So i did everything in that order and still VGA light on the mobo comes on for the boot then goes away, still low GPU usage and the other issues still persist. I ran GPU-Z while testing the games again and VRrel was on the whole time with Pwr being on for a bit and VOp for a few seconds but went away. Any other tests or ideas to find the issue? I also tried running the GPU in the 2nd slot on the Mobo but that made it lose 20-40 FPS in every game i tested
Tried to enable Resizable Bar and above 4g decoding options in the bios?

Ob1CanKnowMe

Prominent
Sep 28, 2021
Tried to enable Resizable Bar and above 4g decoding options in the bios?
Checked the bios, 4g was enabled already but i did enable resizable bar. It improved performance alittle on games that are well optimized so thats a plus still having low usage in ark and a few other but need to test farming a large area and see if it still spikes and dips like before.

The other thing though, do you have any idea why the VGA light stays on along side the boot PSC? The CPU and DRAM lights come on restart but turn off fairly quick so there good and i assume the boot on stays on since i have a USB hard drive connected that the pc always thinks windows is on it so it checks that first then goes to the M.2 with windows. Just dont know why the VGA light stays on with it dont think ive had it in the past of just never payed attention.

The whole PC leds going dimmer on restart and when it restarts fully, shouldnt they be going brighter since the PSU just sent juice everywhere on boot.
The power light indicator light on the gpu that comes on at shutdown and restart also when i shut the pc down sometimes when i turn off the psu all the lights shutoff and sometimes they stay on for 30sec to a min when nothing is plug into it? My old hx850i never did that once the psu switch was off the whole pc was fully off.

Sorry 1 more thing this PSU has a single and multi rail mode switch i have it on multi atm but i dont know what it should be on?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS