Question Need help with pc repair (PC sometimes won't start / can't recognize more than 2 hd)

May 10, 2019
Hello, new here, and I'm hoping I can get a little help with fixing my pc. I built the PC myself back in 2014. I thought about starting completely over, but I feel that I'm still getting pretty good performance from my current CPU, so I've decide to upgrade instead. Here are the problems I'm having:

1. Anytime I move the computer or have to do anything that requires I unplug the pc, I can't get it to start when I plug it back in. Nothing I do will power it on, it seems totally random when it will be able to power on, but usually I can get it going within 2 hours.
  2. Something happened where one of my hard drives disappeared! It seemed as though I had to change which power plug or data connector they were plugged into to get it to work. Since then I can't plug in my third hard drive as then the other hard drives are recognized.
There are some numbers that come up on my motherboard, but I do not know if they are important. They show one at a time and then disappears with no beeps. (4F, 78, 62, 99 and A2)

Here is my system build:

1. Intel Core i7-4790K
  2. ASRock Z97 Extreme4 LGA 1150
  3. APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V
  4. Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Low Profile
  5. DIRPCAdventurer-9601G Steel Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  6. ASUS Graphic Cards GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
  7. Kinston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5
  8. Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  9. External 1TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex
  10. Seagate Desktop 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 7200 RPM ST3000DM001 (Can't recognize no matter what I do, I think this hard drive is bad)

I'm not too skilled at all this, but I'm thinking the motherboard and power supply needs to be replaced. If so I'm hoping I can get recommendations for a new motherboard and power supply.... also....I should note that the power supply seems to upside down when I installed it but there was no other way. I do not do any overclocking. I was going to, but I decided I didn't want to risk blowing up my CPU, unless it's much safer to do these days. I dunno.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
-Jeremy

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Apevias run the gamut from abysmal to war crime. First thing to do is get the junk power supply out of the mix; god only knows what kind of gradual damage it's done to your components and we need a known good power supply in there to go any further.

May 10, 2019
Thank you for the replies!

I've been scouting out some power supplies. Can someone give me their opinion on this one? I'm looking for something near $50, quite and modular. I've ran a wattage calculator and it says I only need around 357 watts so I'm thinking it should be good enough.

CoolMaster MasterWatt 550 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply for Computers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZDLGMK/?tag=pcpapi-20

Thank you!

May 10, 2019
Hello, I've replaced my PSU and I'm still having problems. Ironically, just before I replaced it, all my hard drives stopped working except for one, but when I replaced it with the new PSU, they all work again! So it seems to have fixed some of my problems, however, it still takes multiple tries to get it to power on.

I don't know what to do to fix it and I'll try different things to power it on. I'll leave it off for 10 minutes, come back and it still won't power on. I'll press the power button on the mother board, nothing. I'll turn it off and back on via the power switch on the PSU, nothing. I'll unplug it and power it back on, nothing. I keep doing the same things, and eventually, it comes on. Once it comes on, the problem stops unless I completely unplug it, then the problem starts all over again.

What else can I do?

Btw, the PSU I decided to go with is the Seasonic FOCUS 650 Gold SSR-650FM 650W 80+ Gold. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I heard it was really good.

Any suggestions is appreciated!

Thank you!