Question Need help with pcie slot power delivery

Vurow

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
So i have a prebuilt HP 6300 small form factor that has a gt 1030 installed in it, i want to upgrade the gpu to a gtx 1050ti low profile but i found this one guy thats telling me that the pcie slot in my pc provides only 25 watts of power and if i install a gtx 1050ti in my pc i will get a blank screen. is this true? this is the pc https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03387773 im making this thread because ive seen videos on youtube telling people to buy low profile cards since they ask for no extra power and only use power from pcie slot but im being told that my pcie slot cant deliver enough power. i googled how much power a pcie slot can provide and it said 75watts so im confused

EDIT: I put dell 6300 instead of HP 6300 accidentally

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So i have a prebuilt dell 6300 small form factor that has a gt 1030 installed in it, i want to upgrade the gpu to a gtx 1050ti low profile but i found this one guy thats telling me that the pcie slot in my pc provides only 25 watts of power and if i install a gtx 1050ti in my pc i will get a blank screen. is this true? this is the pc https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03387773 im making this thread because ive seen videos on youtube telling people to buy low profile cards since they ask for no extra power and only use power from pcie slot but im being told that my pcie slot cant deliver enough power. i googled how much power a pcie slot can provide and it said 75watts so im confused

It might work, it might not. These issues are poorly documented.

Reactions: Vurow

Joseph_138

Distinguished
A PCIe slot delivers up to 75W of power. Whether your power supply can handle it, is another matter. Pre-builts tend to have the crappiest PSU's available with barely enough power output for whatver configuration they are selling you. They don't want you making upgrades. The 1050Ti can be tricky, as well. Some come with an additional power connector and some don't. In an SFF case, you also have to make sure you get a low profile card. SFF cases also make it difficult to upgrade the PSU because a standard ATX PSU won't fit. Even if it was in a tower case, and an ATX PSU would fit physically, they still try to stymie you by using non standard connectors on the motherboard to prevent you from plugging in an ATX PSU without having to cobble together an adapter. Trying to turn a pre-built business machine into a custom gaming PC is just too much trouble to be worth it.

Reactions: Vurow

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Are you sure your machine is a Dell and not a HP? The only 6300 SFF I can find with a quick search is an HP machine. If that's the one, then the PSU is only rated for 240W and you'd be asking it to send 75W just to the video card. It might work or it might not.

Vurow

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
Are you sure your machine is a Dell and not a HP? The only 6300 SFF I can find with a quick search is an HP machine. If that's the one, then the PSU is only rated for 240W and you'd be asking it to send 75W just to the video card. It might work or it might not.
yeah I got an HP i just noticed I put dell in the thread that was a total accident, but i still linked the hp computer, would the gtx 1050 ti low profile still work on the HP 6300 sff though? my bad if I confused anyone