Need help with power situation on a mining rig

jack4404

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
So im looking to build a 6 1050ti mining rig, with a lga 1150 motherboard. so with the motherboard i would obviously need pcie x1 risers which can actually come with a bundle on ebay for cheap with the motherboard. On the risers x16 pcb there is a usb port for the data then a 6 pin power plug, and it comes with 6 sata to 6 pin power connectors, though does that mean do i power the cards by the 6 pin power on the riser or on the graphics card its self? or both?? im new to this and im just getting an understanding of everything.
Thanks

Solution
If your 1050ti has six pin connections on the card, yes you need to power them as well as the riser. Not sure why you would buy the versions with six pin power requirements for mining though, they make ones that are powered just by the PCI-E slot.

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
If your 1050ti has six pin connections on the card, yes you need to power them as well as the riser. Not sure why you would buy the versions with six pin power requirements for mining though, they make ones that are powered just by the PCI-E slot.

Solution

wxxyz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

Do you mean they make risers that are just powered by the PCI-e slot, or they make a 1050ti that is just powered by the PCI-e slot?

1050 Ti that is powered by PCIe slot.

wxxyz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

Ok I see - sure, if that 1050 Ti is the same price then that's a good option, less cabling, power connectors needed