Need help with power supply

darkguthix83

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I'm just wondering if the 1000w psu bronze is enough to power a overclocked i7 4770k to 4.4ghz 16gb ram and two Asus r9 290x DirectCUII OC i'm just asking this because I hear a whine from my psu and i'm just wondering if this will work ok.

psu:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188

PS: I already purchased these products

Solution

If it is in warranty, then claim...
Rosewill typically aren't the best PSUs you can get your hands on, some models are way better than others, but in general it's a tier 5 situation, which means you can run it, but get your hands on something better as soon as you can cause it's gonna die soon.

https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx?Redirected=true

Here is the list. Tier 1 are the best, Tier 5 can almost not legally be called power supplies. There are a lot of PSUs out there that aren't on the list. That's ok. Try to find out who makes it cause there's not a whole terrible amount of PSU manufacturers. Some brands are better than others, I like XFX and Seasonic, personally, I have an EVGA Supernova G2 1300w Gold, that I got for a song. Found it on sale with a 30MIR so picked it up for like 150 new. Reputable dealer too. Price doesn't = good or bad. Here's the hitch, and I can't stress this enough, THE PSU IS THE LAST PLACE YOU WANT TO SKIMP. A bad PSU can ruin a whole system fast. Especially when put under load. 1000w is enough for your system, that's the recommended for 2x 290Xs, but that particular PSU might have a hard time keeping up with that.

I couldn't run a pair of 7970s with my XFX 650W PSU, I doubt you could run a pair of 290Xs on a 600. 600W for the two cards, then you gotta add in the rest of the system, that's why they recommend a 1000w PSU. I agree, the EVGA supernovas are great.

darkguthix83

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Do I truly need it or will I be fine?

darkguthix83

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Umm, nothing else happening particularity weird the whine goes away. i'd imagine it would just be it getting it hot, it only happens when I first put it under a load could just be the graphics card fans moving faster, but everything is working great

Same thing happened in my case. I blamed PSU for whining but later on problem as found to be on one of the case fans not the PSU. That noise had me thinking that my PSU is whining but at the end, it was not. Just in case make sure your case fans are not making this noise.

darkguthix83

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Thinking it could be the graphics card's

darkguthix83

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Acutally it does appear to the power supply judging from where the sound it coming from

If your system is running, you don't need a new PSU, there are video cards out there that experience coil whine (google it) and the higher end AMDs are known to do this from time to time, Here's the thing though, a cheap PSU provides power that spikes and puts unnecessary load on your components, also, it might not, the best power supplies provide clean stable power for all components, this in turn increases your longevity. Here's the hard part, no one can tell you when your computer will die, some people run hot with crap components and their systems run for a decade, or you could get a DOA from a top tier piece. I love my computer, it's not the fastest, but I use it for everything, gaming, talking on the phone, EMail, TV, I use it all the time, so I want to play where the numbers favor me. I don't have the best CPU or Video Cards, Memory, it's good, but it's not the best, but I have a tier 1 PSU. Always have, Always will. It's the one part I won't settle for less on, and in my 20 years building computers, I've only seen one PSU fail, and that was three builds after it's initial purchase.

If it is in warranty, then claim your warranty. If you are ok with the noise then continue it

Solution

darkguthix83

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Ok so i did end up returning it for a great 1300w EVGA psu which is gold rated so that's good. :)

Great work there. You've bought yourself one of the excellent PSUs out in the market. Good luck dear.