Need help with product key

Percy Kotwal

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I have just yesterday changed my computer OS from original Vista to a new Windows 7 professional which was bought by my daughter in US when she was a student in a University of Chicago.
I loaded the OS onto my laptop, please note it was a sealed unit along with a package of microsoft office professional plus 2010.
While the Office product key was accepted the original microsoft windows 7 professional 64 bit x 64 upgrade product key is not being accepted at all inspite of numerous attempts.
What am I supposed to do now?
Can anyone help with an original key as this one is now valid for 30 days only after which the product may be dubbed as not original.

Kindly help.I am a novice with computers.
I have a dell xps m1530 laptop and it was preloaded with vista but have no back up for changing back to vista.

Solution
ok to get it to except the code you will need to reinstall the OS over the one that is on there now. I have done this many times and know for a fact it will work. Upgrades need an existing OS on the drive in order for the code to work. Without the first OS being there the code is invalid. just reinstall the OS, DO NOT FORMAT, and then enter the code and all will be fine.

EDIT: the old OS will be moved to a file on the HDD and you will be able to access all information in it but you will need to reinstall all programs and drivers again.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Did you do a clean install?
What message are you getting when trying to activate with the product key?

Typically in this situation what you would do is contact the Microsoft number provided when it says "failed activation" and asks you if you want to try again or w/e. Microsoft will help you push the activation through.. Especially if it's a sealed package and key that has never been used.

There is nothing anyone on this site can do to help you except for referring you to MS for further assistance. No one will give you a free valid key and it would probably be against the rules of the forums to ask for them.

a-nano-moose

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Call Microsoft and they may be able to help you. Your code may not work because it is not for use outside of the US. You only option then is to buy a new copy of windows where you are at. Next time make the system restore disks from your laptop before you install a new OS.

Was the Windows program the Upgrade version? If it was did you upgrade from vista to 7 OR did you reformat the HDD then install Win 7?

the reason for these questions are the upgrade version is not ment to be put on a HDD without an existing OS. To get around this you have to install the OS twice then it will except the code.

Another question. When she bought it was it a discounted price through the school she was attending? If so those OS's are very limited on what and how many they can be installed on.

Percy Kotwal

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
It was a clean install i.e. everything on the laptop was completely formatted by the installed DVD.
During the activation process it says after a few seconds that"This product key you have entered does not appear to be valid Windows 7 product key.
Please check your product key and type it again.
What Microsoft no .are you referring to please. I happen to retain the receipt and proof of purchase.

ok to get it to except the code you will need to reinstall the OS over the one that is on there now. I have done this many times and know for a fact it will work. Upgrades need an existing OS on the drive in order for the code to work. Without the first OS being there the code is invalid. just reinstall the OS, DO NOT FORMAT, and then enter the code and all will be fine.

EDIT: the old OS will be moved to a file on the HDD and you will be able to access all information in it but you will need to reinstall all programs and drivers again.

Solution
I have sent you a PM. formating the disk removes all information off the disk. It is an option you get when installing an OS and can be useful if you do not want any of the info that is still on the disk.

to format a disk what happens is the disk information sectors get arranged in a specific way for the OS. It is a way for the OS to know how and where the information can be put/found on the disk. In order for the format process to work it needs to completely erase the the disk first.

EDIT: insert the disk and run it like you normally would to do a fresh install. start the install process and it will ask you where on the disk you want to install it. At this point it will tell you there is an OS already there, just install it in that same spot. If it asks you for the Product code before installation is complete skip it. Once install is complete then you can enter your code and it will activate.

Percy Kotwal

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

Percy Kotwal

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Thank you all especially bgunner as his solution turned out to be a winner and the same product key I was trying earlier has been accepted now and am getting the original Microsoft insignia.