[SOLVED] Need help with psu cables

Sep 27, 2020
Hi all,

Just finished my first PC build ever...so I apologize for the ignorance.

I just got lucky and snagged a msi 3080 gaming x trio but that card is quite chonk. To get it in my case, I'm gonna need individually sleeved 8pin pcie cables instead of my stock PSU cables. This is where my question comes in...

I ordered 2 cable mod kits and due to low stock, they're different. One is cable mod's modmesh and the other is their modflex. Both kits are for EVGA PSUs (my PSU is evga p2). The kits only includes (2) 8pin pcie cables, but the gpu needs (3), which is why I had to order two kits.

Can I mix modmesh and modflex psu cables WITH my stock EVGA PSU cables? I don't want to rewire everything, so I planned to keep all my current PSU cables stock (eps, 24pin atx, sata, molex etc..) and I planned to use (2x) cable mod modflex 8pin pcie cables and (1) modmesh 8pin pcie cable. Will this be okay?

Aside from it looking funny (which most of it is hidden anyways) will it be okay to do this? I don't want to short anything out or kill anything.

Thanks!

For clarity;
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000w platinum
Cable Mod's classic modflex E-series kit
Cable Mod's classic modmesh E-series kit

Last edited:
Solution
You can add any amount of cables from as many different sources as you wish, it doesn't matter where or who they came from, so long as they ARE intended for use with THAT specific model of power supply. As long as they are intended for use with that power supply then the pinout at the PSU end of the cable will be correct. Some cables might be specific to an entire series, part of a series or only one model, so verifying that a cable IS meant for that model, and in some cases, that VERSION of that model, is always a good idea. Cablemod and Mainframe customs are my preferred source for custom sleeved cables.

You might want to check out Mainframe customs before ordering through Cablemod. They are higher quality, have more options and can...
You can add any amount of cables from as many different sources as you wish, it doesn't matter where or who they came from, so long as they ARE intended for use with THAT specific model of power supply. As long as they are intended for use with that power supply then the pinout at the PSU end of the cable will be correct. Some cables might be specific to an entire series, part of a series or only one model, so verifying that a cable IS meant for that model, and in some cases, that VERSION of that model, is always a good idea. Cablemod and Mainframe customs are my preferred source for custom sleeved cables.

You might want to check out Mainframe customs before ordering through Cablemod. They are higher quality, have more options and can likely get you exactly what you want in the exact way you want it. Or, it might be a good option for later if you wish to fully customize the build.

Solution
Sep 27, 2020

You might want to check out Mainframe customs before ordering through Cablemod. They are higher quality, have more options and can likely get you exactly what you want in the exact way you want it. Or, it might be a good option for later if you wish to fully customize the build.

Thank you very much! It's good to know I won't kill my PSU lol.