[SOLVED] Need help with purchasing a new cooler and RAM

Razraptre

Honorable
Jul 5, 2014
My friend just upgraded his PC and gave his old motherboard and CPU (i7-5820K) to me. I'm considering getting a new cooler and RAM. I'm not looking to spend a lot and my budget is around $150 or less. I plan to use it mostly for photo and video editing, and digital art. I do play games but they're not demanding (Siege, Halo MCC, WoW, Runescape etc).

Right now I have an i5-3340 with a stock cooler but I was told that it won't work with a 5th gen CPU; is this true? If so, what kind of cooler would I need to get? Would something cheap like this suffice or would I need a more powerful one?

Currently I have DDR3 RAM and would need to get DDR4 for the new CPU and mobo. I'd like to get this, a single stick of 8GB 2666MHz. I'm not entirely settled on it since RAM prices are still a little funky right now. Sometimes lower frequencies are more expensive, sometimes dual sticks are cheaper etc. How important are RAM speed and dual channel for me?

Additionally I only have one case fan but the new motherboard has multiple fan headers. Should I also get a couple more fans? And would any cheap case fan do?

Current PC specs:
  • i5-3340
  • GTX 1660
  • 1x8GB 1333MHz DDR3
  • 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD
  • Corsair VS650 PSU
Thank you!

Solution
What would you recommend as a cheap air cooler for this CPU? I don't plan to overclock, FWIW.

Is the frequency important, i.e. should I opt for lower frequencies if it means I can get 2 or 4 modules, instead of 1 very high frequency 16GB module?
Cooler Master 212 evo or Deepcool Gammaxx 400 would be absolute minimum.
If you can get Bequiet Dark Rock 4 or Cryorig H5 - those would be quieter and cooler in operation.

For DDR4 frequency sweet spot is 3000-3200nhz.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
What motherboard do you have? Have you checked it's CPU compatability list? Does it say a 5820k would be OK?
Your ram is pretty slow. The new motherboard website should also be able to tell you what ram is compatible. If you can afford it, see if you can get a 2x8gb kit of ram. I think DDR3 was still the go with ram for 5th gen Intel - but the motherboard ram compatability list will show that.
You'll need a good CPU cooler for a 5820K too.
I'd try to get at least one case fan for the intake and another for the exhaust. Although if you get a water CPU cooler, the radiator fans can act as exhaust fans.
All of this will cost you a fair bit. What case have you got?

Razraptre

Honorable
Jul 5, 2014
What motherboard do you have? Have you checked it's CPU compatability list? Does it say a 5820k would be OK?
Your ram is pretty slow. The new motherboard website should also be able to tell you what ram is compatible. If you can afford it, see if you can get a 2x8gb kit of ram. I think DDR3 was still the go with ram for 5th gen Intel - but the motherboard ram compatability list will show that.
You'll need a good CPU cooler for a 5820K too.
I'd try to get at least one case fan for the intake and another for the exhaust. Although if you get a water CPU cooler, the radiator fans can act as exhaust fans.
All of this will cost you a fair bit. What case have you got?

The motherboard I got from my friend is the Asus Rampage V Extreme. I got it with the 5820K still socketed in it. He's upgraded to an i7-10700K and he's still using the same RAM sticks from his previous build. That's why I thought that I'd need to get DDR4. The motherboard site says that it is DDR4 though (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/).

I'd prefer air cooling if possible. AIOs are also quite expensive here. And I'm not really sure about the exact case. It's a full size Thermaltake that I bought in 2012. It looks a lot like the Versa H22 though (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/).

Razraptre

Honorable
Jul 5, 2014
The cooler you linked is not usable for high performance cpus like i7.
Also it's not compatible with LGA2011 socket.

i7-5820K requires DDR4. But it has 4 channel memory controller.
For best performance use 4 ram modules (not single module).
If you use 2 memory modules, only dual channel memory mode will be available.

What would you recommend as a cheap air cooler for this CPU? I don't plan to overclock, FWIW.

I would like to get 4 modules but 8GB modules are kind of the sweet spot right now. Getting 4x4GB would be way too expensive, but I can try to keep searching for 2x8 perhaps. Is the frequency important, i.e. should I opt for lower frequencies if it means I can get 2 or 4 modules, instead of 1 very high frequency 16GB module?

My friend just upgraded his PC and gave his old motherboard and CPU (i7-5820K) to me. I'm considering getting a new cooler and RAM. I'm not looking to spend a lot and my budget is around $150 or less. I plan to use it mostly for photo and video editing, and digital art. I do play games but they're not demanding (Siege, Halo MCC, WoW, Runescape etc).

Right now I have an i5-3340 with a stock cooler but I was told that it won't work with a 5th gen CPU; is this true? If so, what kind of cooler would I need to get? Would something cheap like this suffice or would I need a more powerful one?

Currently I have DDR3 RAM and would need to get DDR4 for the new CPU and mobo. I'd like to get this, a single stick of 8GB 2666MHz. I'm not entirely settled on it since RAM prices are still a little funky right now. Sometimes lower frequencies are more expensive, sometimes dual sticks are cheaper etc. How important are RAM speed and dual channel for me?

Additionally I only have one case fan but the new motherboard has multiple fan headers. Should I also get a couple more fans? And would any cheap case fan do?

Current PC specs:
  • i5-3340
  • GTX 1660
  • 1x8GB 1333MHz DDR3
  • 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD
  • Corsair VS650 PSU
Thank you!
This would be the cheapest I would consider:
https://www.amazon.ae/Heatpipes-Uni...=1&keywords=cpu+cooler&qid=1601536316&sr=8-16

Is the frequency important, i.e. should I opt for lower frequencies if it means I can get 2 or 4 modules, instead of 1 very high frequency 16GB module?
Cooler Master 212 evo or Deepcool Gammaxx 400 would be absolute minimum.
If you can get Bequiet Dark Rock 4 or Cryorig H5 - those would be quieter and cooler in operation.

For DDR4 frequency sweet spot is 3000-3200nhz.

Solution