Need help with Radeon HD 6870

Jekel

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Ok so I'm having a problem getting my Radeon HD 6870 VGA to work. Under devices it's saying Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. I just put the whole system together today. My mother board is ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, and i know it has an on board video card. Could that be the adapter thats showing up in devices?

Ive pluged the monitor into the Radeons DVI slots and the monitor says " No Response". Ive tried to disable the adapter displaying as Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, then plugging in the DVI cord into the Radeon's slots and it still says "No Response".
I dont know what else to do.

Jekel

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Yes there are two power supply slots on the video card they both have connectors.
Just went through the BIOS and is says PCI-E is the enabled card and the monitor still will not pick up signal from the card

G

if it not being recognized in windows, try reseating the card in the slot.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
monitor is working on the inboard good the will have to test graphic card on another monitor or could you have another card to interchange with this one even a older and plug monitor so we could see if the hd 6870 is good or the motherboard is defective

Jekel

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

I just tryed to reseat it and nothing

No i don't have another card :(. I'm switching from a integrated laptop to a desktop and i just put it all together today. I don't have another monitor only my TV which is the same thing. The TV works on the On Board Graphics card but not the Radeon.

G

if your card is not being recognized in windows and scout has done a great job helping you isolate the problem, you may have a defective graphics slot. unfortunately, without having another system to test the card in, or another graphics card, and since you only have one graphics slot. it might be hard to tell from this point on.

G

if you can "borrow" a card from a friend to put in your motherboard to test it and if it works then the 6870 is most likely bad.

or

put your card in someone else's system and if it works your graphics slot on your motherboard is most likely bad.

you know what i mean?

hopefully if something is defective, it would be the card so at least you didn't spend all this time putting your system together and not being able to use it at all.

btw, did we ever confirm that you card was NOT being recognized in windows?

G

does it show a yellow exclamation point (!) and list it as an "unknown" device?

Jekel

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Under display adapters no. Only thing it shows under Display Adapters is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. there is an icon with a yellow !, but it says Universal USB Bus

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
This seems to be a common problem among the ASRock Z68 motherboards. I had the same problem with my Extreme3 Gen3 board and HD6870 video card. You might want to check out the "official" ASRock forums at Tweaktown and look for the threads titled "gpu not recognized" or "pcie slot dead" or similar.... doesn't really matter much whether the graphics card (in the threads) is a different version from yours. The real problem is with the ASRock BIOS, so don't be hoodwinked into returning (RMA'ing) your graphics card, psu or any other pieces of your new build.

And HERE is a link to my thread on the subject here at Tom's Hardware forums.

G

thanks spankmon. i hadn't thought of the bios and i'll make a note to remember that because how many boards to get sold that need a bios update; too many!

so jekel since windows is not recognizing the card that would most likely be a connection problem with the graphics slot.
IF the bios update does not correct the problem (hopefully it will): it would be a good idea to still try your card in someone else's box or try a KNOWN functioning one in yours. i think that it would be a question your asked before getting an approved RMA for the board; which looks like the direction this is going unfortunately.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
looking on asrock did you install the lucid virtu from cd also in bios intel virtualization is enable and primary graphic is set to pci-express first,for the usb question mark check setting in bios find this all in user manual and the last bios is 1.20