Question need help with RAM compatibility - (new module not working)

venetskiiviko12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
I have 4GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM and I recently bought another 1333mhz 8GB stick which causes the PC to just turn on an off constantly, not booting up, whether I use it alongside the old stick or not. I've tried changing the CMOS battery, updating the BIOS (<which actually made it last less time until it shut down again) and nothing worked. after reading a lot of forums of people who had the same problem I'm thinking it has to be a compatibility issue so I should just resell this to someone who can use it and buy something else for myself.

my motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 Rev 2.0

max. memory 32GB, speeds 1333 and 1600 but I'm looking for 1333mhz specifically due to budget, which is a maximum of $30. I am cheaping out yes but that's WAY more money for where I live.

if you have any other reason as to why my PC isn't working with the new stick please do tell me, obviously it'd be easier if I got this one working instead of having to buy a new one. thanks in advance.

venetskiiviko12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
exact model of the new ram?
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but it's an Elpida stick, top of the warranty sticker says PC3-1600-DIMM-20
I can't find the exact part number since I can't boot into the PC with it installed.

also, I'm looking pointers on what can cause conflict between two different ram sticks, I know it's not a good idea to run them together if they have different speeds and sizes but what else is there that can cause problems? I wanna make sure the new module also works with the one I already have (Kingston 99U5429-006.A00LF, the functional one)

Last edited: