Question Need help with RAM overclocking please.

Jul 31, 2022
Hi there,

I have just bought some new RAM for my PC and want to overclock them so I can run my music production program with less cpu problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M-USB 3.
RAM - Corsair vengeance pro series 1600MHz 8GB (x2).
BIOS MODE - Legacy.
Processor - AMD FX (tm) 6300 six core processor, 3500 MHz, 3 core(s), 6 logical process.
OS name - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro.

If it's possible to get the best out of this RAM that would be great. I am trying to learn, but it's a bit of a minefield ,so if you can explain simply that would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Jake.

What exactly makes you believe OCing that RAM will solve your issues? What sort of CPU problems? OCing RAM wouldnt have anything to do with fixing that.
If anything, it would likely lead to more performance instability given your current hardware.

Jul 31, 2022
I read online that replacing the ram can help solve cpu issues within ableton. Then i read that you can overclock these ram modules for better performance. Do you not think that's possible then?

Its doubtful that replacing the RAM would solve CPU issues unless there was something faulty with that specific set of RAM to begin with, but you would be seeing that across all windows applications, not just your music suite.

When you are hitting these situations, whats your RAM usage? If its not maxed out, it likely wont matter.
Processor hitting high usage indicated a processor upgrade is necessary, not the RAM.

OCing RAM is a bit of a gamble, some kits OC well and can have meaningful performance increases, other times you see no gain whatsoever.
Part of this is variability in OC headroom with production, if a kit can easily hit higher speeds its sold as a higher speed kit. The lower speed kits may only be stable at these lower speeds.
Additionally, your motherboard is a bit on the low end for any kind of OCing.

Its also worth noting with old hardware like this, OCing really does not improve much of anything.

Jul 31, 2022
Its doubtful that replacing the RAM would solve CPU issues unless there was something faulty with that specific set of RAM to begin with, but you would be seeing that across all windows applications, not just your music suite.

When you are hitting these situations, whats your RAM usage? If its not maxed out, it likely wont matter.
Processor hitting high usage indicated a processor upgrade is necessary, not the RAM.

OCing RAM is a bit of a gamble, some kits OC well and can have meaningful performance increases, other times you see no gain whatsoever.
Part of this is variability in OC headroom with production, if a kit can easily hit higher speeds its sold as a higher speed kit. The lower speed kits may only be stable at these lower speeds.
Additionally, your motherboard is a bit on the low end for any kind of OCing.

Its also worth noting with old hardware like this, OCing really does not improve much of anything.

Ok, thanks for the answer. What do you think is my best bet for getting better performance out of this PC? Is there something I can replace that would make working in the production suite smoother?

Thanks.

jake.

It depends on the resource demand of the software itself, but your current hardware is pretty limiting.
You could upgrade to an 8320, but your motherboard is not suited to fully support it, and the software may not use 8 cores.

Your other (better) option would be a new CPU+MOBO+RAM, something modern, even entry level, would blow the 6300 out of the water.

Jul 31, 2022
It depends on the resource demand of the software itself, but your current hardware is pretty limiting.
You could upgrade to an 8320, but your motherboard is not suited to fully support it, and the software may not use 8 cores.

Your other (better) option would be a new CPU+MOBO+RAM, something modern, even entry level, would blow the 6300 out of the water.

Maybe I will think about upgrading like you said. Sounds like the best option. Thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate it.

Take care.

Jake.