[SOLVED] Need help with RAM replacement

sam028281

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Hi guys,

Here is my current setup: (My PC ran about 5 year+)

CPU: i5-4570 @ 3.2 GHz
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
MB: XAsrock H87 Pro4
Windows: Window 10 - 64 bit
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 4GB x2

I just noticed that one of my RAM failed. The current system only running on singal 4GB RAM. I am thinking of either buying a new set of 4GB x2 or 8GB x1 or 8GB x2.

I am not sure if the following item works for my system:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...00&cm_re=ram_ddr3 1600-_-20-231-568-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-...r3 1600-_-20-231-428-_-Product&quicklink=true

Any recommendation? Also if I purchase another set of 4GB x2, will it be able to use my old RAM, so the total would be 12GB?

Thank you so much for your time.

Solution
Always look for rams like you would after loosing a shoe from a pair. If you walked into a store to buy a replacement shoe, you will need to buy a pair not one shoe out of that pair. Similarly, you should look at a dual channel DDR3 ram kit. Your motherboard, here, supports a max of 32GB so you should be looking at a 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz 1.65v dual channel ram kit. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, prior to dropping in the ram kit. Also, Do NOT mix and match ram sticks.

Edit;
Get this.

Lutfij

Titan
Always look for rams like you would after loosing a shoe from a pair. If you walked into a store to buy a replacement shoe, you will need to buy a pair not one shoe out of that pair. Similarly, you should look at a dual channel DDR3 ram kit. Your motherboard, here, supports a max of 32GB so you should be looking at a 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz 1.65v dual channel ram kit. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, prior to dropping in the ram kit. Also, Do NOT mix and match ram sticks.

Edit;
Get this.

Reactions: sam028281
Solution

sam028281

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013

Edit;
Get this.

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Do you recommend if I go for 4GBx2? Or I should just get 8GBx2 if possible? Previous 8GB RAM works for me, do not know if it necessary to upgrade to 16GB at this point. It could save me $40.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Here is my current setup: (My PC ran about 5 year+)

CPU: i5-4570 @ 3.2 GHz
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
MB: XAsrock H87 Pro4
Windows: Window 10 - 64 bit
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 4GB x2

I just noticed that one of my RAM failed. The current system only running on singal 4GB RAM. I am thinking of either buying a new set of 4GB x2 or 8GB x1 or 8GB x2.

I am not sure if the following item works for my system:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231568?Description=ram ddr3 1600&cm_re=ram_ddr3 1600--20-231-568--Product

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231428?Description=ram ddr3 1600&cm_re=ram_ddr3 1600--20-231-428--Product&quicklink=true

Any recommendation? Also if I purchase another set of 4GB x2, will it be able to use my old RAM, so the total would be 12GB?

Thank you so much for your time.
Since 16GB is cheap, I would move to that at this point. Remember that ram typically comes with a lifetime warranty so you can warranty that 4GB module too if you can wait. Also, with DDR3, it's quite forgiving on mixing and matching at stock speeds ime, so you could use all of them together or even in a mixed manner--but when you mix you probably would only have single channel speeds.

sam028281

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Since 16GB is cheap, I would move to that at this point. Remember that ram typically comes with a lifetime warranty so you can warranty that 4GB module too if you can wait. Also, with DDR3, it's quite forgiving on mixing and matching at stock speeds ime, so you could use all of them together or even in a mixed manner--but when you mix you probably would only have single channel speeds.
Thanks for the warranty part. I will go to that route first.

To verify that your ram is bad,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
Do this with each stick individually as well as together.

There is always the possibility that one of your ram slots is not operating so test to check that out by testing each with a known good stick.

Ram from major vendors will have a lifetime warranty, and they will want to know the results of these tests to process a rma.

All that aside, I recommend you pay a bit more and buy a 2 x 8gb replacement kit.
8gb is getting to be too small these days.
Keep your old good stick/s as a spare. Selling it is not likely worth your time.