[SOLVED] Need help with ram

HaJuN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2014
i had 8GB ram running at speed 1333mhz
i added another 4GB now it went down to 1033mhz
even tryed to put only one single slot RAM it says it runs at 1600mhz but on my pc its still running on 1333mhz idk why....could someone explain it to me
currently im 4+4+4 (3slots 1 free)
Motherboard:Manufacturer - Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.(Model -H61M-D2H-USB3 (Socket 1155))
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600

Solution
Your motherboard only supports 1333MHz RAM speeds. So it will limit any RAM modules you input to 1333MHz.

I'm going to guess that it has now gone down to 1033 because the next RAM module you added was a 1033MHz module, it will downclock your other module to the same speed.

That and mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work.

What are the RAM modules you are using?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Your motherboard only supports 1333MHz RAM speeds. So it will limit any RAM modules you input to 1333MHz.

I'm going to guess that it has now gone down to 1033 because the next RAM module you added was a 1033MHz module, it will downclock your other module to the same speed.

That and mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work.

What are the RAM modules you are using?

Solution

HaJuN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2014
i tryed each stick they all are running at 1333mh (since thats the max of the motherboard) put putting them all together it slows down with the speed, 1033 or 1333 i dont think it makes such a difference then?.... yeah they are mixed models idk which exactly there is no way i could get them running at 1333mhz then?

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

You can do your own compatibility testing of memory that has never been tested together before with no guarantees.

Once you make such combinations, you'll find the memory may no longer be able to operate at rated specifications. You can try lowering memory clock speed, relaxing timings, increasing DRAM voltage.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Whilst they all are 1600. The fact that they are mixed modules means there is no guarantee that they will work together properly at the advertised speeds.
Fact is they aren't necessarily the same timings either, so that complicates them working together further.