[SOLVED] Need help with Ram.

Oct 9, 2020
I recently upgraded my computer. I have a i7-10700, a MSI 490 Gaming edge WiFi MoBo and Dominator 16x2 DDR4 @3200 Ram.

My computer will boot if one Ram stick is in placed at any ram slot. But will not boot if I place a second Ram stick in. Although I can place both Ram sticks in A1 and A2 OR B1 and B2 and it will boot but says it is unoptimized.

I cannot put Ram in A1 then B1 or A2 then B2. It will boot, but it will cause my display to not turn on (hdmi/displayport no signal) and I get CPU and DRAM diagnostic lights flashing

I have tried pulling out the CMOS battery waiting 5 minutes and restarted it, checked the entire MoBo for bent pins (None), Re-seated the CPU. Turned on XMP in Bios (which tells me that I have a Memory OC failure {as soon as the setting is off it boots} and reset to optimized defaults). When I built the PC I had an anti static mat, and was grounded with a AS wrist bracelet, All cables are places correctly.

The MoBo (MSI) Manufacturer wants the two Ram sticks in A2 and B2 but won’t boot if I try that.
I am using Win 10 Home, and using the latest version of BIOS.

What am I not seeing here, is there a Ram compatibility issue?

Last edited:
Solution
Is there anything else that could have gone wrong? I have seated a i5-10600k (LGA 1200 socket) to check for a bad MoBo. I have alternated which stick of ram is in the slot, both work fine singular, or unoptimized in A1/A2, B1/B2. I upgraded my PSU from 600 watts to 750 watts made sure it was for an atx12 board and was a Non-Modular PSU.
It's tough to troubleshoot when you don't have spare parts, I would run memtest86 (the latest free version works with UEFI bios) and after they each pass 2-3 times, I suspect it is the board.

If you manually set the speed to 2133MHz at 15-15-15-36 (the base speed) will it boot with both sticks?
Oct 9, 2020
No, I think not. CMD32GX4M2C3200C16 is on the QVL for your board.
Is there anything else that could have gone wrong? I have seated a i5-10600k (LGA 1200 socket) to check for a bad MoBo. I have alternated which stick of ram is in the slot, both work fine singular, or unoptimized in A1/A2, B1/B2. I upgraded my PSU from 600 watts to 750 watts made sure it was for an atx12 board and was a Non-Modular PSU.

RealBeast

Titan
It's tough to troubleshoot when you don't have spare parts, I would run memtest86 (the latest free version works with UEFI bios) and after they each pass 2-3 times, I suspect it is the board.

If you manually set the speed to 2133MHz at 15-15-15-36 (the base speed) will it boot with both sticks?

Solution