Question Need Help with REALLY Loud GPU Fans! SOLVED

Dec 5, 2020
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help with my incredibly loud fan on my gtx 1080.

I recently bought a Ryzen 3700x and had to switch my mobo (gigabyte b450m ds3h) to accommodate the hardware change. When I boot into windows, the gpu fans are fine for about 30 seconds or sometimes until a fan setting is changed and then they quickly build-up to what many would describe as a "jet engine landing in my room", but with only one of the two gpu fans functioning.

When I go to use MSI Afterburner within 10 seconds of startup, any alteration from the lowest fan speed immediately pushes the fans to the max where they will then sit for the entire time and sometimes come down by a little bit but never to the point where it would be passable. The monitoring software(s) also shows the fan speed to be 0 RPM which is simply not true; even after trying to alter the fan speed to say 50% in Afterburner, the graph shows that it's at 0% fan usage.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing drivers, re-seating the gpu, checked all the cables, have tried 3 different gpu software, and have installed the latest bios. I am at wit's end with this pc and would really appreciate any help I could get.

Specs:

mobo: Gigabyte b450m ds3h

gpu: GTX 1080

cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x

ram: G.skill Ripjaw 5 3200mhz

Make and model of psu?
Did you reinstall windows with motherboard swap? If not I highly advise you to do so. Motherboard upgrade needs new windows installation.
Did you use DDU?

Dec 5, 2020
Make and model of psu?
Did you reinstall windows with motherboard swap? If not I highly advise you to do so. Motherboard upgrade needs new windows installation.
Did you use DDU?
Hey, I installed a new windows and everything and it didn't work so I re-seated it one last time and it worked.

Turns out that I screwed it in a tiny bit too tight and it messed with the fans, all is in order now but thanks for the reply!

Reactions: dotas1