[SOLVED] Need help with regards PSU connectors to the GPU

kylegavin7

Commendable
Aug 2, 2019
So had someone built a PC for me a few months ago as I wasnt too sure how too myself. They suggested integrated graphics seeing as I would only play low-end games but I regret not getting an actual GPU since. Been looking into GPUs and made a decision on the GTX 1060 but had a few questions. 1) The PSU connectors are I think 4 pin (The power supply is an ATX-500 B 500W PC Power Supply, not sure if that useful) but I dont want to end up buying a GPU then not being able to use it. 2) The PSU has 500w and would be enough for the 1060, but im not sure if I need a little more power for the GPU or would it be fine. The 1060 is around 300w-450w I think and I think it would be cutting it too close. 3) Would it be better to get a new PSU or get a simpler GPU. I want to be able to really crank my games up to good settings but the reccomended GPU is a GTX 660, wanted to be sure that I can run it in high settings and also be able to run higher games if I play them. Or would it be worth upgrading the PSU instead, seems like alot of trouble for a novice like myself but would be able to play with the 1060 and make sure everythings perfect, just dont want too much hassle though. Was thinking about going to a local PC shop where they made the PC and asking what sort of upgrades I would need but trying to save myself the trip to be honest. Anyone got any advice? Keep in mind im a noobie with this sort of stuff so dont over complicate your replies.

Thank you :)

Solution
The power supply is an ATX-500 B 500W PC Power Supply
This one? It has nowhere close to 500W. Only 264W on 12V rail.
It's garbage. Throw it out.
104756951_934.jpg

For decent PSU look for this one. Will be plenty for GTX 1060.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fZyFf7/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze
It doesnt matter what wattage it says on the PSU, if it is low quality a 800W will output 400-500W. Also it doesnt have the protections other quality PSUs have and when it fails it will kill your entire PC. Go for a Seasonic PSU, CORSAIR (RM, RMi, HX, HXi, AX,AXi) EVGA SUpernova g2 or g3. Most probably your psu does not have the necessary connectors to power your gtx 1060 or any other videocard with external connector.

kylegavin7

Commendable
Aug 2, 2019
It doesnt matter what wattage it says on the PSU, if it is low quality a 800W will output 400-500W. Also it doesnt have the protections other quality PSUs have and when it fails it will kill your entire PC. Go for a Seasonic PSU, CORSAIR (RM, RMi, HX, HXi, AX,AXi) EVGA SUpernova g2 or g3. Most probably your psu does not have the necessary connectors to power your gtx 1060 or any other videocard with external connector.
Cheers for that, should I consider maybe getting a cheaper GPU or would that still have similar problems to if I got a 1060? PSUs just seem complicated to hook up and take apart and would probably cause lots of hassle for myself so trying to avoid it if possible. Also, stupid question, do all PSUs have the same or similar size? Dont want to get a new PSU then realise I need a new case aswell because I haven't looked into it.