Question Need help with router setup please.

Mar 31, 2021
Sorry if this is the wrong thread forum.

I have a CenturyLink C4000LG modem/router. It works just fine but when my roommate connects at 5g it slows down mine even though im on 2.4g.
So I had a brand new Netgear Nighthawk router R6900v2 and connected it to my modem I followed the instructions that came with the Netgear router and it worked just fine.
I would use the netgear to connect to the internet while my friend used centurylink to connect.
Everything was just fine till one day I needed to look at info on the bottom of the modem and the ethernet cable popped out from the modem so I plugged it back in thinking it would be fine but it didnt work.

So I tried to do all the steps over again I disconnected everything from the modem then unplugged the modem waited a couple of minutes then plugged it back in and when it was finally ready I connected my netgear router and everything lit up white as it should except for internet it was amber/orange color meaning that it was not getting internet to the device.

So I tried and tried again and nothing works so I contacted netgear support they had me do a bunch of things and nothing would work so they told me to contact centurylink because they had to configure it to work. So I did they had me go into the modem and do a bunch of things I dont remember what but nothing worked then they said I didnt even have the router set up and no matter what I did with them it wouldnt work.

So im lost. What can I do to fix this problem?

Lutfij

Titan
Check and see if the Netgear router has any firmware updates pending. Which port did you reconnect to? There's a yellow port
51tmj2DkjvL._SL1350_.jpg

that will only allow you to connect an ISP's router or another router.

Might want to see if changing the cable helps you out.

Mar 31, 2021
Thanks for trying to help... I have it in the correct ports going from the modem to the router... I also switched the ethernet cables as well... I just dont understand why it connects but doesnt get internet I used the nighthawk app as the manual said followed the instructions it gave me and did everything the exact way as when I first had it working... My nighthawk app did a check the cables are fine it said just not connecting to the internet...

I seen there is an update for my router when I checked on my computer in a different room but when I tried on the app it said I have the latest version... With it not connecting to netgear my router cant update...

I doubt its the update problem because it was working just fine without it... I did a windows diagnostic test it said something about the DNS not connecting or something like that...

shaharhada

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
Thanks for trying to help... I have it in the correct ports going from the modem to the router... I also switched the ethernet cables as well... I just dont understand why it connects but doesnt get internet I used the nighthawk app as the manual said followed the instructions it gave me and did everything the exact way as when I first had it working... My nighthawk app did a check the cables are fine it said just not connecting to the internet...

I seen there is an update for my router when I checked on my computer in a different room but when I tried on the app it said I have the latest version... With it not connecting to netgear my router cant update...

I doubt its the update problem because it was working just fine without it... I did a windows diagnostic test it said something about the DNS not connecting or something like that...
Which version of Windows you have?
Maybe the service of the Internet in your computer is off?