[SOLVED] Need help with router ultimatum

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Hi everyone. So big issue. At my old place I had a modem my ISP gave me which did not have wifi integrated...so I bought a very good router (Netgear Nighthawk xr500) and have been using that.

Now the issue. I upgraded my internet in my new place and they gave me a modem/router combo. (I didn't want one but they said I had to)
So the wifi is now inside the modem.

I heard that you can bridge a modem so I called my ISP and they said they can't disable the wifi and or bridge the modem. I don't know how to tell if my PC's Nate type is open but my Xbox is moderate....when it used to be open (because I didn't have the wifi integration)

Apparently my upnp isn't working (on Xbox diagnostics) but it IS enabled on netgears software. I have a funny feeling it's because of this modem/router integration because this has never happened before... seriously. I never factory reseted my router for the new modem but the internet works and the settings never changed.

So should I just use the ISPs wifi and connect both my Xbox and PC via ethernet? Or keep using my own router?

Right now my PC is connected via ethernet into my router and my Xbox is connected wirelessly. Im using fiber internet too.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Solution
What ISP do you have? I've had Fios and Spectrum/Time Warner and could turn off Wifi and configure the modem however I liked. Password was on a sticker on the modem.
With Fios I could just use my Wifi router IF I ran an ethernet cable all the way back to the garage where their ONT box lives and sent them back theirs.
With Spectrum I could also buy my own cable modem to use but it's been about 6 years since I had them. Still I turned off their wifi and used my own.

popatim

Titan
What ISP do you have? I've had Fios and Spectrum/Time Warner and could turn off Wifi and configure the modem however I liked. Password was on a sticker on the modem.
With Fios I could just use my Wifi router IF I ran an ethernet cable all the way back to the garage where their ONT box lives and sent them back theirs.
With Spectrum I could also buy my own cable modem to use but it's been about 6 years since I had them. Still I turned off their wifi and used my own.

Solution

dunkirkman

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017

Bell. How do I log into my ISPs router? I do have the password on the back. But again, they tried doing it on their end...but it just resets the modem/router and reverts.

I know how to log into my own router cause of netgears website.