Question Need help with RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

Apr 24, 2019
Hi All,

I built my PC few days ago, and when installing the 2080ti I decided to use the included metallic structural support for the card. Without paying too much attention while plugging the vga power cables into the card i probably touched the metal support and pushed it a bit into the 3rd fan (blocking it from spinning) I didn't noticed on the spot and ran it like that for probably 2 days, until i noticed the card reaching a max of 83-84 degrees which i found to be ridiculous given my case/fan setup. Last night I opened it up and noticed the blocked fan, released it and now the graphics card won't surpass 58 degrees even in the highest loads. My questions are the following:

- Will the high temperature (83- 85 degrees) affect the lifetime of my card, keeping in mind that I only ran it for lets say... 2 hours tops at those temps?
also keeping in mind that (thankfully) i did not OC the card during that period
  • Will the blocked fan be damaged if it tried to move for 2 days straight without being allowed?
  • Apparently the 3rd fan which was blocked, resides right on top of the VRM modules, can these be affected by this issue?

Can someone with a bit more knowledge help me get a peace of mind with this? I would be devastated if something happened to a card that costs more than my mortgage...

Many thanks,

Razvan

" Will the high temperature (83- 85 degrees) affect the lifetime of my card, keeping in mind that I only ran it for lets say... 2 hours tops at those temps? "

I doubt it. 83-85 isn't that high.....plus I would imagine if the card got to hot it may shut down to protect itself.

"
  • Will the blocked fan be damaged if it tried to move for 2 days straight without being allowed?
"

I think that if it's spinning OK.....it probably didn't get damaged. It probably just heated up a bit when it wasn't spinning but it didn't get hot enough to damage it.

All in all I wouldn't be concerned......83-85 isn't that high. I would just keep an eye on the temps in the future.....but I always keep an eye temps anyway.

TRENDING THREADS