Need help with running cat5e from a 66 block to an rj45 keystone for voice only.

farslayer9

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I'm new to the game of phones and I simply don't know what the heck I'm doing. I have a 66 block mounted and cable ran to various workstations to connect their phones. These phones all share the same number, nothing fancy there. I have run one cat5e cable for each phone; yes I know I don't need all the pairs, but I'm thinking longer term. I don't know what colors to use where. Here is what I think I should do, and I'd like corrected :)

On the 66 block, I run blue/white, blue, orange/white, orange. I think this gives me line one and line two; the green and brown I'd just snip off (I want to use minimum cable due to space). Then, on the other end, in the keystone, I don't know what to do. The keystone is laid out with coloring for 568A and B, which I know are data. The question is do I punch down the blue/white, blue, orange/white, orange based on 568A or B, or do I need to do something else. I've done plenty of data wiring but I've always outsourced phone.

Thanks!!!!

Richard

Solution
What you do is connect 1 end to the telco then run the wire to multiple pairs on the other side. You use a long wire and use the blade on the punch tool that does not cut it off. You just daisy change them together. Of course you must be careful to keep the colors correct.
You can plug rj11 phone plugs into rj45 jacks and normally the center of the jacks align well enough that it works in most cases but there is no guarantee.

The color of the wires don't matter a lot but the rj11 plug will use pin 4,5 (on rj45) for line 1 and 3,6 for line 2. Normally line 1 is blue/blue white and line 2 is orange/orange-white. So you could use 568a and it would match your 66 block.

Now if you have phones that actually have rj45 connections then you will have to see what the manufacture has defined. Most those are digital phone and don't work on analog system.

farslayer9

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
You're awesome, thanks! Now yet another dumb question. On my 66 block, I have 12 pairs of incoming lines (blue and orange pairs, to cover lines one and two). On the right side of the block, I have the single incoming line from the telco. I'm not sure exactly how to bridge the sides together, all twelve pair on the left need to connect to the single incoming line. Yeah, I know, it's a bit jacked up.

Thanks again, you've helped so much and I greatly appreciate it.

What you do is connect 1 end to the telco then run the wire to multiple pairs on the other side. You use a long wire and use the blade on the punch tool that does not cut it off. You just daisy change them together. Of course you must be careful to keep the colors correct.

Solution