[SOLVED] Need help with selecting a router

Murphy625

Commendable
Apr 2, 2017
HI folks,
First let me say I know some very basic stuff but that's it. I'm not a networking pro by any measure. I can configure IP addresses, do port triggering and some other very basic stuff. Now for my question:

I'm on a DSL connection and my ISP provided me with a Model 7550 modem.. not sure who makes it but it says FRONTIER on it.

The modem/router/firewall has very few features and no documentation on how to set anything up. Its old and its slow.. but I've managed to run a home network on it for the past ten years or so.

I need to find a router/firewall that I can plug into the Frontier router/firewall and one that allows me to pick a computer IP on the LAN and allow LAN access but block all WAN access for that specific computer. And when I say computer, I mean Window's PCs and Android devices.

I set up some IP security cameras and we're using the portable tablets to monitor them but I don't want these tablets to have access to anything outside my home.. IE: the internet as a whole.. Just my own LAN.

Looking at a Netgear AC1750. We are not gamers and we don't stream videos other than youtube.. and my lousy Frontier connection is only 1.5Mb/sec anyhow.

When configuring one firewall/router behind another, what do I need to do? It would seem that the Frontier modem does allow me to pick a "Default NAT destination".. but not sure if that's what I need to be looking for.

Thank you. I'm kind of lost with this.

Solution
So if this is not a hacking type of situation the simple way to do this without changing your current router is to configure the tablet machines ip configuration to not have a gateway. You can leave it blank or put in some ip that does not exist. If they do not know where the router IP is to they have no way to get out of the network. That is what "gateway" means it is the exit to the subnet.

In some ways it would be simpler to replace the ISP router but then you need a device that has a dsl modem in it.

If the netgear you list has the feature you like you can just plug the wan port into the ISP router lan port and pretty much be good to go. You should disable the wifi on the ISP router but you can leave it on if you want...
So if this is not a hacking type of situation the simple way to do this without changing your current router is to configure the tablet machines ip configuration to not have a gateway. You can leave it blank or put in some ip that does not exist. If they do not know where the router IP is to they have no way to get out of the network. That is what "gateway" means it is the exit to the subnet.

In some ways it would be simpler to replace the ISP router but then you need a device that has a dsl modem in it.

If the netgear you list has the feature you like you can just plug the wan port into the ISP router lan port and pretty much be good to go. You should disable the wifi on the ISP router but you can leave it on if you want, use different SSID so you know which network is which. The only other thing you have to watch for is that the LAN ip range used by the ISP router has to be different than the one on your new router. Just use 192.168.2.x for example if there is a conflict. There are reasons to not run router behind router but mostly related to game consoles.

Solution

Murphy625

Commendable
Apr 2, 2017

If the netgear you list has the feature you like you can just plug the wan port into the ISP router lan port and pretty much be good to go. You should disable the wifi on the ISP router but you can leave it on if you want, use different SSID so you know which network is which. The only other thing you have to watch for is that the LAN ip range used by the ISP router has to be different than the one on your new router. Just use 192.168.2.x for example if there is a conflict. There are reasons to not run router behind router but mostly related to game consoles.
Well heck.. is it really going to be that easy? I tried doing this about 20 years ago with a couple of Linksys firewalls and I couldn't get it to work...

I'll give it a try, thank you!