Need help with setting up basic home network (router and windows network settings)

chrisrichard

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hello.

I've been using a typical router from (timewarnercable) and a standard router for all these years.
Noticed that I wasn't getting the speed I was paid for.
So I recently got the ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.
And my internet speed drastically went up.

After few researches, I've noticed that I can touch upon some settings on the router
and network settings on the computer to optimize the speed.
I move files from a computer to computer a lot. I did get unstable network speed all around.

To match the new replaced modem, I am planning to get a good router nighthawk or N66U.

I was wondering what I can do to have stable network set up between computers.
All computers are in windows 7. Have Ethernet connections from router.
Do I need to set up homegroups? Any IP setups? Static IPs help?

Also, to optimize my router speed for internet downs and ups,
what router settings should I touch upon out of the box.

This is basically two inquiries,
1. Home network speed. (moving files around)
2. Internet router/modem setup. (for internet connection)

I can understand the concepts and instructions if posted. Thank you in advance.
I will monitor this thread all day today.

Solution
If they are all connected via Ethernet then file upload/download times are going to be practically instantaneous and as for IPs setting up the computers as static is going to save time when the network is starting but for mobile devices (Such as a cellphone) Ive found static IPs great for speedy connect and disconnects. Make sure that you use quality cables and that all the computers are Gigabit Ethernet enabled (most are) and that you use Cat5e (for short range) or Cat6 (Long range). Setting up a system to auto restart the Modem and Router also helps maintain speed. Remember to setup a decent password aswell to keep out those pesky neighbors :)

chrisrichard

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

I can understand the basic concept and I am wiling to learn as I go.

chrisrichard

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I just did some research on my own and I set up all my computers to a static IP and mapped the drives with those IP.
This did improve in connectivity

Let me know if I can do anything more to it to set this up nicely.

PS
I ordered N66U. Also ordered some cat5e/6 cables, noticed one of my able was just cat5.

reoost

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
If they are all connected via Ethernet then file upload/download times are going to be practically instantaneous and as for IPs setting up the computers as static is going to save time when the network is starting but for mobile devices (Such as a cellphone) Ive found static IPs great for speedy connect and disconnects. Make sure that you use quality cables and that all the computers are Gigabit Ethernet enabled (most are) and that you use Cat5e (for short range) or Cat6 (Long range). Setting up a system to auto restart the Modem and Router also helps maintain speed. Remember to setup a decent password aswell to keep out those pesky neighbors :)

Solution

chrisrichard

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

Thank you, I appreciate your response.