Need help with Shared system memory.

Apr 15, 2018
My NVIDIA GTX 1070 has 8gb of VRAM and I have 8gb of RAM installed on my computer. Looking at the properties of the GPU I can see that there's only 4gb of Shared system memory. Should it be higher than that? If so, should i increase it?
My PSU: Delta 350W 80 plus bronze

Solution
Ok, looks good.
Ignore the memory setting, you'll never get into the territory where you will need to use that (it's like additional video-memory, taken from normal RAM - but only when needed).
You can safely continue, and need to do nothing.

BUT

PSU 350W is not very much, and can get you problems. If that happens, the PC might just freeze, or reboot, while gaming. If that happens, buy a more powerful PSU.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Show a screenshot of that "shared memory"... a GTX 1070 does not have "shared memory", normally...

P.S.: Your PSU has critically low Power for such a GPU, but that's not related to the phenomenon you describe...

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Thank you. Can you please install GPU-Z, and show the resulting screenshot?

Hint: The shared memory will probably never be used with modern games... you might ignore it... but still, please GPU-Z... to make sure everything is ok here...

Apr 15, 2018

Here you go https://imgur.com/a/OiaXx

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Ok, looks good.
Ignore the memory setting, you'll never get into the territory where you will need to use that (it's like additional video-memory, taken from normal RAM - but only when needed).
You can safely continue, and need to do nothing.

BUT

PSU 350W is not very much, and can get you problems. If that happens, the PC might just freeze, or reboot, while gaming. If that happens, buy a more powerful PSU.

Solution