Need help with simplest setup for 2 laptops -> dual monitors , own mouse/keyboard

May 8, 2023
The in-laws have a desk where they want to easily be able to swap in 1 of their 2 laptops, as needed (one laptop will be used at a time). The laptops will have their own mouse and keyboard connected to them. There are two monitors, and the connected laptop should work on both monitors. They may also have a printer there to share... I'm not sure what it connects with yet, but let's just say USB-A for now, but let's also consider this a "nice to have" rather than a necessity to work on both, so don't worry about that so much.

What they're hoping for is an easy solution of not fumbling with monitor buttons to switch HDMI inputs, and also a very minimal amount of cable connections when hooking up their laptop (ideally 1 cable, like one of the users currently has). One of them is not very technical at all, so it has to be super simple. An HDMI switch with a button on it to switch between working laptops would work. I'm looking for some ideas here.

Here's the hardware they currently have:
Dell laptop connected to a Dell WD15 Docking Station (uses usb-c) which is connected to the two monitors. This is working as intended right now, but they've added the second PC recently...
ASUS Vivobook 16X (M1603QA-DH71-CA). I found out afterwards that the USB-C on this does not work for display or charging, unfortunately, so the dock doesn't work. On top of that, it only has one HDMI port, and no other port for displaying, so it needs something to be able to produce two HDMI signals (such as a splitter).

The ASUS user is fairly technically unsavvy.

What do you guys recommend for the most simple set up? Price is a consideration for sure... nothing too outlandish (let's say under $250USD would be ideal, but they could do more if need be).

I've been considering an HDMI Splitter for the ASUS plus an HDMI switch, but then the ASUS user has to connect up an HDMI splitter plus keyboard and mouse, and operate the switch as needed. I think he can handle that, but just wondering if there are better ideas.

The other consideration I had, and not sure it would work, would be not use the splitter, and instead add a universal USB-A dock for the ASUS that would have his keyboard/mouse connected to it, and would connect to an HDMI Switch still. I'm not 100% sure on if this would work or not, but from my understanding there are docks that would allow you to extend your desktop over USB-A instead, and that would work, unlike the USB-C dock... but I'm not 100% sure.

Can anyone suggest any other solutions??

Again, the simplest solution possible, please.. but whatever will work.
So a summary of the requirements:
- Two Laptops, but only ONE at a time...
- Dual Monitors.
- Separate Keyboard and Mouse for each.
- Very quick/simple/minimal cable connection and preferably no monitor input changing involved
- USB-C on ASUS laptop does not support display or charge

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Docks are your friends here, not splitters. You could look into something like this;
or this;

May 8, 2023
Thank you for the welcome, and thanks for the help/response!!

OK I'm with you on the docks (and was leaning towards that), but the key here is that the ASUS laptop doesn't support display/charging over USB-C, so, from what I understand a USB-C docking station won't work (this was discovered when the Dell WD15 dock was used on the ASUS laptop).

The other problem, as mentioned, is they want the simplest solution possible.. since they have their own mouse/keyboard connected, I'm guessing that means they'd need their own docks (which is fine)... but then they'd also need something to switch between active docks on the monitor. Again, they highly prefer not to use the monitor buttons because they're both struggle with that.. so that's why I was thinking:

HDMI switch + 2 docks.

I'm wondering though if someone can confirm that the ASUS laptop will be able to use the HDMI on a dock if the dock uses USB-A for connection to laptop instead of USB-C, and if there's any downside to that.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023
So, this is what I'm currently considering for them:

I'd just have them connect to the same dock, with both sets of keyboard / mice connected. I've already warned them that they'll both be able to be used, so "don't bump the other one by accident".

This eliminates the HDMI switch.

I know they can't charge via the USB-C to host connector on this dock, but that's fine.

Anyone know of any reason that this won't work? Again, the ASUS laptop's USB-C does not support "display" but I think that would be a necessity on other docks.. I believe this one has it's own display driver, and is not actually using the GPU on the laptops.

Thanks for any help!!!

Edit: looks like the first link you sent might also work similarly to the one I linked (it doesn't use the laptop's GPU, and therefore shouldn't need the USB-C port to support display). The second one appears to require USB-C supports display though.

Last edited: