[SOLVED] Need help with slow WiFi speed tests despite 1.1 Gbps download at modem.

Sep 30, 2020
Hoping for some community help. I've got slow WiFi speeds despite excellent speed to my modem.

My current set up has my ISP Bell sending Gigabit internet from the street to their Sagemcom HomeHub 3000 combined Modem/Router in the basement. When the house was built a second enterprise grade Luxul-XAP1410 router was connected via Cat6 through the wall to the second floor. I'm able to log into the combined Modem/Router and see there are 16 devices connected. I believe this is all of my devices and I don't think anything is connecting to the Luxul Router.

I don't know how to connect to the Luxul Router. When it was set up my the builders tech company they set up both wifi with the same name and password so devices would automatically connect to both. I know the default ip should be 192.18.0.10 but I'm not connected to it wirelessly with my laptop therefore I can't find it in my browser. Also, I don't think there is any additional Ethernet port on it to connect directly. I'm very disappointed with my speed test results from my phone and PC which I've listed below. I've run multiple tests and these values are typical. I've also spoken to my ISP and they assure me the speed tests to the modem are accurate and it's an issue "inside my home".

I'd love direction as I know very little about home networking and don't know where to go from here.

ISP: Bell
Modem/Router - Sagemcom Home Hub 3000
Router #2 - LuXul XAP1410
Laptop - ASUS GL502V
Phone - Pixel 3XL

Speed tests: down/up
From ISP to modem: 1.1Gbps / 824
On PC: 174 / 101
On Cell: 52 / 94

Solution

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Do you need the Luxul router? Seeing as you are already connected via the Bell modem/router. If not then turf it.

If you need the Luxel, then the ethernet cable from the Bell should be plugged into the Luxul WAN port and then you can plug your PC into the Luxul.

Sep 30, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Given the size of the home the Luxul Router was suggested to ensure better WiFi coverage. Also, I don't understand how your suggestion of just removing the Luxul would have any impact on my WiFi speeds which is my actual problem.

If you need the Luxel, then the ethernet cable from the Bell should be plugged into the Luxul WAN port and then you can plug your PC into the Luxul.

I did state I'm not experienced with home networking but still a bit above this level. I wasn't clear enough in my first post, The Luxul router doesn't have an additional Ethernet port. The Luxul router is a ceiling mounted router that receives power via Ethernet from the Cat6 wire. There is no other port to plug into for a hardwired connection to my PC.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply. Given the size of the home the Luxul Router was suggested to ensure better WiFi coverage. Also, I don't understand how your suggestion of just removing the Luxul would have any impact on my WiFi speeds which is my actual problem.

I did state I'm not experienced with home networking but still a bit above this level. I wasn't clear enough in my first post, The Luxul router doesn't have an additional Ethernet port. The Luxul router is a ceiling mounted router that receives power via Ethernet from the Cat6 wire. There is no other port to plug into for a hardwired connection to my PC.
The Luxul is actually a WIFI access point -- https://www.luxul.com/wireless/controller-compatible-ap/xap-1410.aspx
It is OK by today's standards. It can provide a maximum of about 400Mbit throughput. That is a typical WIFI max. There is NO current WIFI that provides gigabit performance.
The Luxul was a commercial product. Those are much less plug-and-play then home networking hardware. You need to be able to login to the Luxul. You may have to factory reset -- https://www.luxul.com/support/ap-factory-reset.aspx the unit.
Since you couldn't login to the Luxul, then the WIFI names you setup are not broadcast by it. This is why you NEED to be able to login and setup the unit.

Sep 30, 2020
It is OK by today's standards. It can provide a maximum of about 400Mbit throughput. That is a typical WIFI max. There is NO current WIFI that provides gigabit performance.

I hear what your saying about a maximum speed of wifi but my speed tests seem much lower than that. The cell speeds well below 100mbps is particularly concerning.

You need to be able to login to the Luxul. You may have to factory reset -- https://www.luxul.com/support/ap-factory-reset.aspx the unit.

I didn't have time tonight but will follow this and attempt to gain access over the weekend. I was hoping there was a way to identify the two signals now and pick to connect to either one. Right now I'm simply stuck on the basement. I had hoped I wouldn't have to reset it but I'm willing.

kanewolf

Titan
I hear what your saying about a maximum speed of wifi but my speed tests seem much lower than that. The cell speeds well below 100mbps is particularly concerning.

I didn't have time tonight but will follow this and attempt to gain access over the weekend. I was hoping there was a way to identify the two signals now and pick to connect to either one. Right now I'm simply stuck on the basement. I had hoped I wouldn't have to reset it but I'm willing.
You can use WIFI Analyzer on an Android phone to get lots of WIFI info, including the WIFI signals that the Luxul is transmitting.

Reactions: SteveRX4
Sep 30, 2020
You can use WIFI Analyzer on an Android phone to get lots of WIFI info, including the WIFI signals that the Luxul is transmitting.

This is really intriguing to me. I'd like to try this before I hard reset my router. When I'm looking in the android store there are a few WiFi Analiyzer apps. Whats the developer of the app you're referring to?

Reactions: SteveRX4

kanewolf

Titan
This is really intriguing to me. I'd like to try this before I hard reset my router. When I'm looking in the android store there are a few WiFi Analiyzer apps. Whats the developer of the app you're referring to?
This is the app -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US
You do have to have the GPS turned-on on your phone or tablet. Obviously if your phone or tablet can not use 5Ghz WIFI, then the analyzer won't see it.

Solution