Need help with sound problem.

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Yesterday, I installed a new PSU, everything is working fine, except the headphone jack and USB microphone. When I plug the headphones into the jack, the computer registers that they are in, but no sound comes from the headphones, it comes from the speakers, I have tried to set the headphones as the default, still nothing. A similar thing is happening with my USB webcam/microphone. The webcam works fine, but the microphone doesn't. Same as with the headphones, the microphone is recognized as being plugged in, but none of my friends can hear me when I try to talk to them. I have tried to update drivers to see if that is the problem, but they are all up to date. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
Okay. Well, give this a try.

First, turn down the volume on the computer to about fifty percent. We don't need ear-drums problems that could render this entire exercise irrelevant.

Right click on the volume icon.

Select 'Recording devices'.

Click on the top one and click on Properties.

Select the Listen tab and check the Listen to this device' box.

Select the Levels tab and boost the volume a little.

Do the same for all the 'Recording devices'.

If you find one that works, set it as default and stop the other devices from being listened to, if you want.

Any improvement?

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

I am not, the only things screwing up are the headphone jack and the mic. The odd thing is that the mic and webcam are plugged into the same USB port, and the cam works but the mic doesn't

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Okay. Well, give this a try.

First, turn down the volume on the computer to about fifty percent. We don't need ear-drums problems that could render this entire exercise irrelevant.

Select 'Recording devices'.

Click on the top one and click on Properties.

Select the Listen tab and check the Listen to this device' box.

Select the Levels tab and boost the volume a little.

Do the same for all the 'Recording devices'.

If you find one that works, set it as default and stop the other devices from being listened to, if you want.

Any improvement?

Solution

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Thanks for the possible solution, I will try it as soon as i get out of class and get back to you to see if it helps.

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Is there a volume control on the headset? LOL.

Or on the front panel? And the headphone jack is stuck into the correct hole? :)

Select Playback devices.

How many playback devices are in your list?

What are their names?

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Yeah the headphones are working lol. They are in the correct jack as well. As for playback devices, I have 6 labeled digital display audio, none of which are plugged in, my speakers (which work fine), the headphones (which is odd because they aren't plugged in 0.o), and something called the SPDIF interface.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

He he. Sorry. :lol:

Okay. So are you saying that when you select 'Speakers' as your default playback device and connect your headphones to the head-phone socket, (that would be Line Out, wouldn't it?) you can hear nothing in your headphones?

If you plug your headphones in the same hole as your speakers are connected, do they work? The speakers do don't they?

How can you have headphones and speakers connected to your system? A headphone socket should disable the speaker when you plug headphones into it.

When you are try to listen to your headphones, do you have the speakers turned down by a volume control at the speakers themselves?

When you look in Playback Devices > Levels, does the slider indicate 'Speaker/headphones volume' on the volume slider?

I think 'headphones' and 'Line Out' are the same thing.

What do you reckon?

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Lol I finally realized that I can just unplug the speakers and plug the headphones into that jack. What I meant was that I have a headphone jack on the front of the computer that worked fine until I installed the new PSU. I apologize, it was kinda unclear.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Ah. I see.

Well, the next thing for me would be to have a look inside the machine and make sure that that little wire is connecting your front panel audio console to the motherboard/soundcard.

Make sure that none of the pins are bent over and that the socket connects to all the pins it should.

And does the headphone socket work when the speakers are plugged out?

gnomeking95

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013

Yeah, I suppose I'll look at it over the weekend and see if theres any bent or disconnected hardware, thank you for the help! :)