[SOLVED] need help with stress test

cactusgames14

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
Hey I want to stress test my pc bc I ran into problem and want to run stress test so whats a good thing to use and what should I look for ( first time so yea don't know what I am doing)

Solution
- Prime 95 v26: no AVX testing. Good stress test for primarily CPU. You can load up your RAM too though. I'd only stress one or the other if you're trying to rule one in/out as an issue.

- Later versions of prime 95 use AVX loads. Still a valid test. It'll just heat things up a little more, but if you're not OC'd then no biggie anyway.

- Asus ROG Realbench is a good all around stress test that hits CPU and GPU simultaneously, + incremental RAM selections. Does use some mild AVX loads also so its a great all around. If you run this for 8 hours and it all tests good, you're typically in great shape, unless there's a RAM issue which this will miss sometimes.

- For RAM only, good old memtest (passmark.com). Create a bootable USB...
Run the 30 day free trial of the program aida64. It can stress virtually every component in your system. You can use cpuid hwmoniter to moniter temps if you want. If you want to specifically test your cpu even further you can use an older version of prime 95. There is a specific non avx version you need to use. I cant remember the version but i think its 26.6

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
- Prime 95 v26: no AVX testing. Good stress test for primarily CPU. You can load up your RAM too though. I'd only stress one or the other if you're trying to rule one in/out as an issue.

- Later versions of prime 95 use AVX loads. Still a valid test. It'll just heat things up a little more, but if you're not OC'd then no biggie anyway.

- Asus ROG Realbench is a good all around stress test that hits CPU and GPU simultaneously, + incremental RAM selections. Does use some mild AVX loads also so its a great all around. If you run this for 8 hours and it all tests good, you're typically in great shape, unless there's a RAM issue which this will miss sometimes.

- For RAM only, good old memtest (passmark.com). Create a bootable USB thumb drive, boot to it, and run. This isn't a stress test so much but just a great memory testing tool if you're having symptoms like erratic performance issues and especially random blue screens.

- Intel XTU isn't a bad option either.

Solution

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Prime95 avx and OCCT small data set are the harshest stress tests you can run on the proc. Personally I'd choose occt over prime95 as it is easy to setup in such a way that the test will stop if temps of voltages get outta control. The old version of prime95 doesn't seem all that stressful on the proc at least going by the power and temp readings I've gotten running it. Intel XTU is also decent and believe or not running the long version of the Intel Diagnostic tool test seems to put a pretty reasonable load on the proc.