Need help with the name of an old game - driving me insane

Oct 10, 2018
OK i am trying to remember the name of an old game i used to play - the information i have is this - it was either PC or ps1 (im 95% pc)
- it was et underwater or in space (may have been both) against a race of what i always thought were aliens but may have been monsters.

The thing I remember the most other than the fact it was brilliant was the last level - i seem remember you had to enter the enemy base and either plant a bomb or input a code but whenyou do they become aware of you and you have to escape and i remember going thru this mad action level as an alien space craft - you might have played the whole game as a space craft but i cant be sure - racing thru the base (underwater i think) avoiding walls, fighting enemies in this mad level which felt like it lasted forever but the most iconic part is as you approach the exit and are about to escape, having saved the day the doors of the base slam shut and a cut scene turns your ship around and your surrounded by enemies - and im sure you see the alien ship flying off into space with you onboard - and thats how the game ended - id never seen anything like it and it stuck in my mnd - any suggestions?

dalaran

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
By your description the only thing that comes to mind would be Descent I or II, but I don't think I've ever made it to the end.
Descent is basically a shooter in space, confined tunnels and IIRC really good level designs. Look for "Descent 2 gameplay" on youtube to see if it fits or not.

Oct 10, 2018

im pretty sure you play the majority of the game i mean as a craft - its either a sub or spacecraft and i want to say ts black with tentacles type things coming out the back

dalaran

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
In Descent you do control a craft. It's pseudo 3D and you shoot stuff which is why I said shooter (but not in the typical FPS sense)

To try and narrow it down, 2D or 3D game? In what year (or decade) did you play that game?

You might end up having to go trough games list such as https://www.ranker.com/list/all-space-flight-simulator-game-games-list/reference
To see if anything rings a bell
Otherwise either hope somebody else comes across the thread and recognizes it better than I do.
Or try posting posting the info you have on the subreddit mentionned by 2sidedpolygon, it seems to be the appropriate place for that sort of thing.