Need help with this incompatible drivers

AlienNoob

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hi, I need help!

I have a Yiynova 10.1, which needs DisplayLink drivers to work. And when I install them on my win7, some (a lot) of the games go crazy and crash before start, they won't work in FullScreen Mode (some of them works in window mode).

So, I need the drivers for drawing in my tablet monitor, but I have to uninstall them to play games... What should I do?

The options I thought:

1. Install drivers on another windows' user account, and the admin's account will be for games (1 account for drawing, 1 account for games). But I think this isn't possible xD the drivers would affect all the accounts, right?

2. Install a 2nd OS in my secondary HDD, and switch the Boot order to that New OS when I want to draw (Graphic Design student here...)

3. Install the DisplayLink drivers and photoshop and stuff in a virtual OS (VM Ware), and emulate the new OS every time I want to draw.

4. Another better way, suggestions?

thank you so much for every help!

P.S: sorry for my english, I'm learning.

Solution
Sometimes you can use the drivers from another manufacture that is using the same hardware but under a different manufacture name. If so, you can check the OEM for a updated driver. Run the windows 8 upgrade assistant and see if windows 8 has a driver for your device (you don't have to actually install, just have win 8 upgrade assistant check for compatibility)

otherwise you have to figure out the actual cause of your failure. two drivers stomping on each other. Maybe see if you can change the load order of the drivers?

load your yiynova driver first then your regular display driver. Drivers can assume they own all devices in a class and not pass control to the second driver when they should. drivers writers also like to...
Sometimes you can use the drivers from another manufacture that is using the same hardware but under a different manufacture name. If so, you can check the OEM for a updated driver. Run the windows 8 upgrade assistant and see if windows 8 has a driver for your device (you don't have to actually install, just have win 8 upgrade assistant check for compatibility)

otherwise you have to figure out the actual cause of your failure. two drivers stomping on each other. Maybe see if you can change the load order of the drivers?

load your yiynova driver first then your regular display driver. Drivers can assume they own all devices in a class and not pass control to the second driver when they should. drivers writers also like to be the first in the chain so they have first grabs at control. If they have bugs the second driver never gets control. drivers for major
brands might fix this problem before some of the less well know brands.

Solution

AlienNoob

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Well, I checked the win8 upgrade assistant and It don't appears on the list of devices, but, from a win8 web list, it does appear, and it looks like it works on win8 (also in the OEM's web says the drivers works on winXP, win7 and win8)

But It still don't assures me that the games won't have problems with those drivers in win8...

I tried disabling the service in msconfig and rebooting, but the games still don't work (even if displaylink don't have services running or process in the task manager)

My guess is that the displaylink (which manages multiple displays and graphic stuffs) conflict with my nvidia drivers or my intel hd graphic drivers...

How I change the load order of the drivers? I try changing the priority of the process in the task manager, but that don't change anything (and 1 of the 2 display processes running don't accept changes)

Thank you for your help! Sorry for my english xD

Change of the load order should not have a effect unless there is a certain type of bug in the device driver or a bug in the device driver of the support chips you are using or the BIOS even. Which gives me a Idea, have you updated the chipset drivers to the current version from your chipset maker?
you can download the current intel chipset drivers from their site if you have a intel based machine.

When your games crash do you get a error in the eventlog? OR a bugcheck code or is it just a corrupt screen with no errors? graphics drivers attempting to drive the screen at a different frequency/ resolution than the other device? say on at 59 Hz and the other at 60Hz. Maybe start up the game get the garbled screen, unplug monitor cable and plug it back in to see if it resets the monitor frequency and resolution ?

just guessing

AlienNoob

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Yes, the drivers are updated.

Yes, when the games crash I do get the error in a little window (maybe i won't call it crash but unable to initiate). It varies from "D3D graphic problem" to "initiation error" and other graphic stuff. When I double click the game .exe, it look like the game try to get fullscreen, and I get a flickering black screen, and then after 2sec I get the error window. I think the problem is when the different resolution games try to scale to 1920x1080 (but I tried with lowers resolution and nothing changes).

Also my tablet isn't connected, so the problem isn't having multiple screens, or multiple resolutions, I think the drivers are just incompatible with the others...

The error message is not from the core OS. Maybe the directx subsystem?
run dxdiag.exe Maybe update to a current version of directx runtime

see if changing your hardware acceleration slider to full or none.

I am running win8, but I think it was found by right clicking on your desk top
select properties-> settings->advanced->troubleshooting
or something like that

They had a slider you could move from no acceleration to full acceleration.

Try setting it to full if it is a software issue (or none if you think it is a hardware firmware issue)

See if that helps. (you might have to dig around for the settings, or the settings could be turned off if you have other software that overrides the control)

AlienNoob

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
The directX is also updated. I'd tried running the games with the nvidia and with the integrated graphics, but nothing changes.

The thing about the troubleshoting, I found the option but the button is disable. It says "If your current display driver allows you to change settings, click this button to troubleshoot problems with your computer's display". I guess my current display driver don't allow me to change settings... D:

In the "intel graphics and media control panel" i found a "3D Preference" slider from "Performance" to "Quality" but that does nothing. I'm hopeless.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll keep looking in the settings

all I can think of now is to plug your device into a running windows 8 machine, let it be detected and download the driver from Microsoft's driver collection. If it works then see about extracting that version of the driver from the machine or .ISO image or looking for the driver file owner on the net so you can get an updated installer

AlienNoob

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
It's working!!! I just download all the older versions of DisplayLink, just to try them one by one, and to see if there is any luck... and there is luck!!

Not the v7.0, not the v6.3, BUT the v6.2 works great!

Thank you anyways for your help and quick replies! I appreciate it!
p.s: sorry for my english again

TRENDING THREADS