Question Need Help With Total Computer Freeze

Oct 22, 2021
I'm posting this because I have no clue where to turn (this is my first-build ever):

I recently built a gaming computer from scratch (probably could have waited to see if component prices go down), and after beginning to game on it (but not before I started gaming), it'll seize/freeze on occasion. Seizures/Freezes don't appear to be relegated to or caused by a specific event/action/process.

I'm getting two performance stats:
  1. If I open up Task Manager for stats right when it begins to seize: 100% CPU, 0% RAM and other stats.
  2. If I monitor the performance stats: 4-5% CPU, approx. 5 GB RAM.

Memory appears to be fine, a diagnostic test revealed no errors. A boot-time virus scan also revealed no underlying malware.

Here's my build (forgive me if I give too much info):
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 Extended ATX Computer Case w/ 4 pre-installed fans (3 of which are RGB; total fans listed below)
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) (ATX Motherboard) (RGB)
  • 64 GB RAM & 2133 MHz
  • 2 TB SSD (M.2) (primary drive, C drive)
  • 2 TB HDD (SATA) (back-up, non-program file (document) storage; D drive)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, 6-core, 12-Thread, Unlocked (I believe I set the AMD software NOT to overclock, although I know with some programs that means nothing.)
    • Typically runs anywhere from 30 degrees C to 45 degrees C.
  • AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT GPU
  • 8 fans total
    • 1 CPU fan (AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler)
    • 3 pre-installed RGB fans in front
    • 1 pre-installed fan in back
    • 3 fans on top
  • No AIO or Water Cooling
  • 850 Watt PSU, 80+ Gold certified
As for the game I play (which I barely get to due to lack of time from work and college): Genshin Impact (no time to find new games, like I said I barely get to play this game).

I asked some of my college friends and even instructors and I can only get a general idea. Does anybody know what could be causing the problem?

Oct 22, 2021
What exact PSU?

Have you tried running with just a single RAM stick? Yes, you did test the memory, but it's always good to simplify as much as possible. I'd also remove as much storage as possible.

In respect the the exact PSU I'm using: Corsair RM850, Fully Modular PSU.

In respect to testing just a single RAM stick at a time: I have not, yet. College exam after work was draining. I'll most likely do that tomorrow .

Oct 22, 2021
Did your motherboard come 'ryzen 5000 ready?' If not, it may need a BIOS update? Also, your RAM is painfully slow which will deeply impact your systems performance.

From what I'm seeing, my motherboard has the latest BIOS version.

And as far as RAM goes, I've studied software more than hardware in college. I asked a few friends for recommendations. What's your recommendation for RAM? (I just pulled what my computer was saying. The RAM is rated for 4000 MHz. The above may have been what the computer was just using.)

Reactions: kurdtnz
From what I'm seeing, my motherboard has the latest BIOS version.

And as far as RAM goes, I've studied software more than hardware in college. I asked a few friends for recommendations. What's your recommendation for RAM? (I just pulled what my computer was saying. The RAM is rated for 4000 MHz. The above may have been what the computer was just using.)
What BIOS version is it running? Oh, in that case, you can go into the BIOS and enable XMP to get your RAM running at 4000Mhz, (but it's not guaranteed to work at that speed but you could manually set the timings to run at 3200-3600mhz if it doesnt run at 4000mhz, someone can advise you how to do that.)

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
sometime xmp does not work and u will have to det memory to spec ur self
good luck , my recent bios update thew so much at me i did not know where to start

1800X , Gig AB350m-D3H, evga 650watt PS , 32 gig ram
nothing oveclocked
crashes most with utube ,
i was wondering if
HIBERNATE/SUSPEND /ENERGY SAVING / screen saver
between the CPU/Motherboard /software was causing this
have read it can be

CPU [bad]
mother bd [bad]
power supply [voltage drop affecting mb/cpu when they come out of slow usage ]

have reloaded and switched Linux , but it got bad again
updated bios [ twice [had to upgrade in installments ]]
took out hard drive and running only M2 now
reloaded MX19.2
connected ps2 kybd to usb adapter
connected adapter and mouse to USB 2.0

a couple of restarts and crashes and it has settled down
only crash since [ 5 days] was kybd stopped working and lighting
unplugged and re-plugged , it worked , whole system did not freeze like it used to