Need help with trying to throttle certain connections

JDat99

Reputable
Apr 8, 2016
Basically, someone in my family likes to use Huffington Post. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if my internet wasn't pretty crappy DSL, but it is and this is the only ISP in my area. Loading the desktop site or the mobile app, it completely maxes out my download speed and makes gaming completely uplayable. Now, I don't want to kill the connection to huffington post and other notorious high data usage sites (facebook, other news sites, etc.), I just want to throttle them down a little bit and give their packets a lower priority. It affects the entire household, but it would be pretty dumb to just say "You can't look at the news anymore." Does anyone have a solution? I was thinking of getting a small little mini PC to run pfSense on and maybe trying to do QoS stuff with that? My current setup is: ISP Router(wifi disabled) -> Netgear Orbi wireless router -> all devices are connected to this, ethernet and wifi. I have tried connecting my PC to my ISP router to see if anything would change, but it made no difference. I know that other devices on my network are causing all of my lag in games and other stuff because whenever I unplug the wireless router (I only did it for scientific purposes, I swear ;) ) everything fixes itself.

Solution
Pfsense is good. Is free to download, audition it as long as u like, u just need any ole pc with at least 2 NICs. Don't like it, just unplug it then.

Some ppl say QOS the most difficult subject for firewalls, browse forum for everything that's been said about qos. Visit the pfsense.org forum.

JDat99

Reputable
Apr 8, 2016

The problem isn't only with me, it's with the person who is paying for the internet aswell. As I said, I don't want to cut the connection, just slightly throttle it so it won't make a difference to the experience on the news site, but also not take down the rest of the network's total bandwidth with it. And if it doesn't work and makes the site unusable, I'll obviously disable the throttling and fix it. I don't want to make it unusable for the person using the news site, just make the rest of the network usable for everyone else and keep everyone's connections stable.

JDat99

Reputable
Apr 8, 2016

The thing is I need help implementing QoS, both of my routers don't really have it, I was thinking of just getting a little pfSense box but I want to make sure it's worth it and if it will actually work and fix our problems. Is the QoS in pfSense good? I would assume it is, but I've never used it so I want to be sure.

Pfsense is good. Is free to download, audition it as long as u like, u just need any ole pc with at least 2 NICs. Don't like it, just unplug it then.

Some ppl say QOS the most difficult subject for firewalls, browse forum for everything that's been said about qos. Visit the pfsense.org forum.

Solution