[SOLVED] help with two same model ram but different timing

Jan 28, 2015
Hi, i need to add another 8GB ram to my pc i have Ballistix tactical 8gb ddr4 3000mhz BLT8G4D30AETA (15-16-16-35 v1.35)
the one i have
HQCdIrz.jpg

ueLRvvL.jpg

and the one i found is a little different it the same BALLISTIX TACTICAL 8GB DDR4 3000mhz CL15 1.35V (BLT8G4D30AETA) but have that (CL15) and the box is different and has Timing (20-150-144)

dqAAYv8.jpg

the only thing i found different is the box and timing
so is the little difference is a problem? or should i get it?

Last edited:
Solution
You could try it and see what happens.

But using individual memory modules (not from a dual channel kit) is always risky. There is a possibility that the two modules may not be compatible with each other. That is why it is usually recommended that a dual channel kit be used where the two modules within the kit have been tested and guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

Really recommended that a system compatible dual channel kit be bought instead. The existing 8 GB module could be kept as a back up or sold.

But if you're still wanting to try another individual memory module, then be prepared for possibility of inter-module incompatibility. In this case, you could then -

1. try modules in different memory slots...

But using individual memory modules (not from a dual channel kit) is always risky. There is a possibility that the two modules may not be compatible with each other. That is why it is usually recommended that a dual channel kit be used where the two modules within the kit have been tested and guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

Really recommended that a system compatible dual channel kit be bought instead. The existing 8 GB module could be kept as a back up or sold.

But if you're still wanting to try another individual memory module, then be prepared for possibility of inter-module incompatibility. In this case, you could then -

1. try modules in different memory slots
  2. reducing module frequencies
  3. easing off module timings
  4. increasing DRAM Voltage in BIOS

If all the above fails, then you'll have to try other modules and see which two modules are compatible with each other. This process may take some time, and might cost more in the end also.

Solution
Jan 28, 2015

1. try modules in different memory slots
  2. reducing module frequencies
  3. easing off module timings
  4. increasing DRAM Voltage in BIOS
If all the above fails, then you'll have to try other modules and see which two modules are compatible with each other. This process may take some time, and might cost more in the end also.
hey fam i checked newegg about this ram and i found it have the same timing as my ram too! https://www.newegg.ca/ballistix-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820156144
the only different thing is the box and i don't know what that (20-150-144) stand for!

First, just to clarify, the 20-150-144 number refers to the production batch or lot number, it has nothing to do with the memory latency.

The memory module at Newegg has a CAS latency of 16, so doesn't quite match your original memory at CAS latency of 15. You could try this memory if you wish. But note that even if it does work with the original CAS 15 memory, both memories will be set at CAS 16 (slower latency) in order for both memory modules to work together. Again there is no guarantee they will work together anyway, even after making setting adjustments as explained earlier.