Question Need help with underperforming GPU

Oct 13, 2019
It is something that i have been experiencing in games since i got this new card. Every game i play, the card has about 65% utilisation, with pretty low and stuttery fps. I decided to do a userbenchmarks test and sort of confirmed that something was wrong.
This test was also using oc
unknown.png

You haven't given us any specs, not even what GPU is that. Please provide full system specs and don't forget to include the make and model of your PSU.

There is something to try though even before knowing the specs. You said the card is new.
Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019
You haven't given us any specs, not even what GPU is that. Please provide full system specs and don't forget to include the make and model of your PSU.

There is something to try though even before knowing the specs. You said the card is new.
Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

I have done a clean install of GPU drivers, i even went as far as to reset my pc.
Also, GPU is shown in picture....
Specs are:
Ryzen 5 1600x
RX 5700xt
16GB 3000mhz RAM in Dual channel
Gigabyte B350 Gaming MOBO
Evga 650w psu

What picture? There is no picture in this thread.
Reseting your PC does nothing GPU wise most of the time, you either make a new OS install or use DDU.

Have you installed the latest BIOS, windows updates, chipset drivers?

5700XT is notorious in these forums to have various problems with drivers, especially the chipset drivers.
Way too many threads about it. Some have RMAd the card, others found better drivers if I remember correctly.

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
What's your monitor device? Resolution you're playing? Any sync method?

Ryzen 1600 is not enough for 5700XT, but it still makes a decent job to keep grames above 60 almost all the time.

Give us a little more details. Games, frames, etc. You should try other drivers too.

Oct 13, 2019
What's your monitor device? Resolution you're playing? Any sync method?

Ryzen 1600 is not enough for 5700XT, but it still makes a decent job to keep grames above 60 almost all the time.

Give us a little more details. Games, frames, etc. You should try other drivers too.
The ryzen is definetly not bottlenecking, its at 40% util most of the time.
I have a 144hz monitor with free sync, which is turned off.
unknown.png

Oct 13, 2019
What picture? There is no picture in this thread.
Reseting your PC does nothing GPU wise most of the time, you either make a new OS install or use DDU.

Have you installed the latest BIOS, windows updates, chipset drivers?

5700XT is notorious in these forums to have various problems with drivers, especially the chipset drivers.
Way too many threads about it. Some have RMAd the card, others found better drivers if I remember correctly.
I have the latest drivers, yes i used DDU, multiple times in fact. My mobo is also on latest

1. Why do you [would you ever] have FreeSync turned off?
  2. What resolution?
  3. What Game(s)?
  4. What in-game settings?
  5. What are your current FPS. "Pretty Low" isn't good enough, need a number.
  6. 40% utilization can also mean that 5 of the 12 threads are being used. Not at all hard to believe.

Oct 13, 2019
  1. Why do you [would you ever] have FreeSync turned off?
  2. What resolution?
  3. What Game(s)?
  4. What in-game settings?
  5. What are your current FPS. "Pretty Low" isn't good enough, need a number.
  6. 40% utilization can also mean that 5 of the 12 threads are being used. Not at all hard to believe.
I have freesync off, on 1080p, on r6 siege im playing lowest settings getting about 140-160fps on BF5 max setting i get 50-70fps

BF5 @ 1080p max settings on a 5700XT and only getting 50-70FPS. That's concerning. A 5700XT is massive overkill for 1080p gaming.

Seems like you should be getting higher FPS on R6 @ 1080p low settings. I wouldn't expect to get CPU-limited FPS until you're a fair bit at/above 200FPS, but I may be wrong. At least in this scenario I can see why the GPU wouldn't be at 100% utilization.

You're recording these numbers from offline/campaign play, correct? Need to eliminate all the variables that online gameplay introduces to troubleshoot.
Make sure you've turned off as many background processes/software as possible while testing also. Don't want something eating your CPU in the background while you're trying to test games.

Please monitor the GPU temps and frequency during your testing.

Oct 13, 2019
BF5 @ 1080p max settings on a 5700XT and only getting 50-70FPS. That's concerning. A 5700XT is massive overkill for 1080p gaming.

Seems like you should be getting higher FPS on R6 @ 1080p low settings. I wouldn't expect to get CPU-limited FPS until you're a fair bit at/above 200FPS, but I may be wrong. At least in this scenario I can see why the GPU wouldn't be at 100% utilization.

You're recording these numbers from offline/campaign play, correct? Need to eliminate all the variables that online gameplay introduces to troubleshoot.
Make sure you've turned off as many background processes/software as possible while testing also. Don't want something eating your CPU in the background while you're trying to test games.

Please monitor the GPU temps and frequency during your testing.
I have gone through this monitoring process. The GPU maxes out at about 65 degrees with my set fan curve. The only programs i have running in the background are the usual steam and discord, also some anti cheat programs. I have cleaned up windows mostly to get rid of all their crappy background programs also