SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
So I've purchased these parts, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YrRRbh, they haven't arrived yet, but they have already been purchased for a new CPU upgrade, from my old i5-4440, that I took out of an old office pc. I decided I needed a CPU upgrade after my old CPU was really holding back my 1650 super in games like AC Odessey and Farcry 5. I think I'm confident I know how to actually put together the CPU motherboard and RAM, I've never done it before but I've worked with a computer (GPU upgrade and case swap) and watched a lot of tutorials on how to put it together, the thing I'm concerned about is getting windows on my new motherboard. I have two drives right now: a 240GB SSD as a boot drive, with some other stuff on it as well, and a 1.8 TB hard drive as a storage device. It's my understanding that I should move all my important stuff onto the hard drive, and install windows on a USB flash drive, but I'm not really sure what to do next, can I get some help? Thank you.

P.S. I will be putting my old GPU in the new build.

Solution
If you do a clean windows install, first download the windows install code directly from microsoft to a usb stick.
Have only the ssd drive connected.
When you boot from the usb stick, you will be given options to clear and reformat your ssd before installing windows.

If you want to attempt to preserve your apps and data on the ssd, you could try to boot from the ssd.
If you can boot, install the motherboard drivers that came with your new motherboard.
You may get lucky.

If your original windows was retail, it should activate.
If it was oem, that was tied to your old motherboard and you will need a new license.
You can still run unactivated for the most part, losing only some personalization capability.
You can't run windows on a usb drive.
Windows C drive belongs on the SSD.
Ultimately, you want windows and frequently used stuff on the ssd.
Are you planning on a new clean windows install?

Protect what data you value on the HDD and disconnect it before you do anything.

On the new setup, only have the ssd connected initially, you can add the hdd later.

Reactions: SteelStruck

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
You can't run windows on a usb drive.
Windows C drive belongs on the SSD.
Ultimately, you want windows and frequently used stuff on the ssd.
Are you planning on a new clean windows install?

Protect what data you value on the HDD and disconnect it before you do anything.

On the new setup, only have the ssd connected initially, you can add the hdd later.
I guess my question would just be at this point, how am I supposed to format an SSD I am currently running windows on? Or will the drive be formatted automatically when I do a clean windows install? (I was just going to install windows onto the SSD with the USB, I wasn't trying to run windows off it, sorry if that was unclear.)

If you do a clean windows install, first download the windows install code directly from microsoft to a usb stick.
Have only the ssd drive connected.
When you boot from the usb stick, you will be given options to clear and reformat your ssd before installing windows.

If you want to attempt to preserve your apps and data on the ssd, you could try to boot from the ssd.
If you can boot, install the motherboard drivers that came with your new motherboard.
You may get lucky.

If your original windows was retail, it should activate.
If it was oem, that was tied to your old motherboard and you will need a new license.
You can still run unactivated for the most part, losing only some personalization capability.

Reactions: SteelStruck
Solution