Need help with using Steam on multiple drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Hi, I've just reinstalled Steam onto my SSD and I want my games to be on my HDD because my SSD simply isn't as big enough.

First, I go to Settings, Downloads, Steam Library Folder and then add folder. This folder is on my HDD. But then, an error appears saying "New Steam folder isn't writable". I don't know what to do, please halp!!

USAFRet

Titan

That would appear to be a permission issue. What folder are you designating in the Steam client?

Try this:
Create a whole new folder on the HDD - "Steam Games"
Point the "Steam Library Folder - Add Library Folder" at that.

See what happens.

That scenario works perfectly for me. Even across multiple drives.
xYCcgV7.png

USAFRet

Titan

Ahhhh....OK.
It would seem that the "D:\Program File (x86)\Steam" is the folder from an older Windows install, still resident on the HDD.
That folder would be semi-locked to the old NTFS userID. And as such, makes it harder to access. Even if the username is the same, the NTFS permissions are not the same.

Create a brand new folder on that drive, point Steam at that new folder, and see what happens.
After that works, you can look into taking ownership of that "Program Files" folder.

USAFRet

Titan

Create new root level folder on the drive in question.
Call it "Steam Games" or something. But a folder NOT under the "Program Files".

In the Steam Client:
Settings - Steam Library Folders - Add Library Folder
Browse to the drive and folder you just made
Click Select

That's it.

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I just did that but it's still coming up with the error "Failed to add Steam Folder" :/ Thanks for helping me by the way :)

USAFRet

Titan

hmm....
Completely outside of the Steam client, can you add just a regular file to that newly created folder? Copy/paste?

USAFRet

Titan
OK:
In the same process, "Add Library Folder - New Folder"
Be sure you navigate to the top level of the desired drive
Give it a name
Click OK

It's hard to diagnose when I can't repeat the fail mode. And I seem to have zero issue designating, or creating, a new folder for Steam to use.
I just added 4 in various modes.

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Nope, still "Failed to add new Steam folder". It isn't in Program Files, or anything else.

USAFRet

Titan

Again....hmmmm...

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I think I'm just going to resort to using Steam Mover. Same concept but an added program. Thanks for helping :)

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, give it a try and see what happens.

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Seems to be working so far so good. Shame I can't use my 3rd drive as Steam mover can only support one at a time. The error still occurred on that drive too. Hopefully Steam will release a fix! (doubt it).

USAFRet

Titan

Possibly a client version issue. What version is your client?
Mine is Oct 8 @ 18:04:08
API v012

areyourosh

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Hey dude i dont know if youre still interested in this thread but i was having the exact same problem as you and i think i may have found a fix for it. If your still interested, let me know.
Cheers!

ShadowsVoid

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I already fixed it, fixed randomly. But if anyone finds this thread, then your solution could help out

areyourosh

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Same here, was a completely random fix, but i dont care because its finally working, haha!!
Glad to hear your issue was resolved as well, if anybody else is having trouble with this issue, reply to this thread and i should be able to walk you through it!

ShunTheShine

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

I need help. Thank you!

areyourosh

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

What have you tried so far to get it to work? To eliminate the possibility of me giving you advice you have already experimented with.

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
If this wasn't suggested earlier, look up MKlink and how to use.

Here is a good tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVNLPz3wfI

Using MK link allows you to also move games from drive to drive as you see fit. Its really cool. Been using it for 2 years now.

In short, what it does it tricks steam into thinking its installing and accessing games on one drive, when in fact it is accessing them somewhere else via a virtual link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS