Need help with virus?

Galrogyab

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Having trouble with my computer. My keyboard stopped working, tried restarting multiple times. Finally got keyboard to work again corsair k95. Now I can't hold down backspace to delete things. I can't copy paste with right click or with ctrl+c/v and when I load into a game that was running fine before (skyforge) it's freezing up every few seconds and causing my system to slow down. Could this be a virus wreaking havoc? please help

Galrogyab

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

Already tried another keyboard, USB and the purple plug thing. Both had the same problem, no backspace or copy paste anything.

Galrogyab

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

No I'm on the computer in question.

List of things that happened.

I tried typing in an address and my space bar wasnt working, when I would hit spacebar my right click option would open up and I couldn't use space.
Hard rebooted the comp, came back in and my keyboard wouldn't work. The LED backlights were on but I couldnt use any of the keys except for the volume control wheel.
tried using a different keyboard, didnt work.
rebooted 2 more times
finally second keyboard starts working.
fiddle around with first keyboard and got it working again, with the exception of being able to copy and paste anything and my backspace only deleting one letter at a time (cant hold it down to delete an entire line)
Computer now acting very sluggish.
Tried logging into the game skyforge (which I have been playing without issue for the past two days) and its freezing every few seconds and even crashing
looking through my task manager it seems like whatever program I'm using is taking up a ton of memory and cpu usage.
hope this clarifies, I have no idea what is wrong. or where to even start

windows 8
intel core i5 4690k
cpu 3.50ghz 4 cpus
8gb ram
ssd main hard drive

now typing this the computer is getting more sluggish

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Another suggestion would be, boot into safe mode and see if that helps. For tools, malwarebytes would be another. Got a virus scanner running? That too. If you don't, you need one. None of us *like* them but there's just too much out there.

Galrogyab

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

Yeah I don't currently have one, I've tried mcafee and norton but they seem to do too much, is there one you would recommend?
Also as of running the the above program I can now use my backspace properly and copy paste again

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
What do you mean by too much? I use a paid version of BitDefender myself; Avira is noted in a fairly recent THR article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/free-windows-security-anti-malware-tools,4149.html

As for just running Windows' tools, those generally get blasted as much too weak.

Good, the thunderstorm threatened all evening is here, finally. :) We need the rain.

Anyway...IMO, Paul's approach is much too risky. You may well not know a site is dodgy, or a file is a problem. And I don't recall my anti-virus crashing my system, ever, and they started being mandated on my work systems maybe 12 years ago. I worked in a software development group...and I don't recall anyone ever asking for help due to a crash caused by anti-virus. Other reasons, yes, but not that. I got BitDefender...including paying for a license I used on my work machine (I hated Sophos, which was what was provided)...but it's not so expensive as to make me sweat it. And the paid ones generally get much better ratings. BitDefender does largely stay out of the way...EXCEPT for blocking 'surprises'. I've liked it enough to renew for...3 years now, I think.

Other tools: I'm not personally familiar with adwcleaner, but that says nothing. Most sites suggest running multiple tools, as no one tool catches everything. My go-to tools have been Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Ad-Aware...altho last time I tried Spybot, it inserted some real-time protections that did get to be irritating. That was some time ago. It might be dull, but removing a virus can be a SERIOUS PITA. We had a thread here a couple days ago, about adware called AdsAlert...the guy said it took a McAfee tech an hour (using Remote Assistance, I assume) to find the registry entry that caused it to 'regrow' itself after it was removed. So, I've always felt it was worth my time to research good tools.

And, OK, I did this at work sometimes. It was work-related...sorta. :)