Need help with Wake On Lan

BigHead89

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
I posted a few months ago my power button broke. Please don't offer fixes for this. I'm over it. The way I power it on now is basically tinkering around with a safety pin which can work in 2 seconds or 2 minutes trying to find the sweet spot. I'd like to avoid this for obvious reasons so I've started looking Wake On Lan. This should allow me to boot it up from another computer in my house without having to deal with it.

The laptop I want to boot up is an HP Probook 4720. I've gone into the BIOS and enabled Wake On Lan. So I know it's supported and possible. I've gone into the power options and disabled "Turn on Fast Startup". I've gone into the Network Adapter settings and made sure Wake on Magic Packet was enabled. I went into Power Management and ticked "Allow this device to wake the computer" and Only allow a magic packet to wake this computer" were enabled. I'm not sure if I should tick "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" because I've read conflicting posts on that. Either way, I then downloaded TeamViewer and thus far I've been able to get the two computers to interact with one another. I'm able to use one to control the other. But I still can't get the Probook to wake up when it's turned off.

If someone could walk me through this step by step I'd be forever grateful.

Every computer seems like a little different so I doubt anyone has a precisely step-by-step for you. From what you have done, it sounds right. Gonna say one stupid thing: can only wake up on ethernet, never wireless. Next thing is, I would make sure ethernet NIC is using original HP's supplied driver, NOT Microsoft.

BigHead89

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
That's understandable.

Yes I'm trying to wake up via Ethernet, not wifi. I also downloaded the driver from Realtek so I'm not sure that's the issue either. I forgot to mention I set the IP to be static and also enabled port forwarding in my router. (Downloaded a program to test the ports were open). I'm able to use TeamViewer to wake it from sleep state, but doesn't seem to work from being completely shut down which is obviously the point.

BigHead89

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
Meaning what?

I've googled how to use Wake on Lan and they all pretty much mention port forwarding. Am I doing something wrong? I just want to be able to power my PC on without having to use the start button.