[SOLVED] Need help with Windows 10 reinstall

Tinreo

Reputable
Mar 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am going to reinstall Windows 10 soon and I would like some help with the process.

My computer right now has three storage devices, a Hard Drive, an SSD, and an NVMe. Each of which are 1tb in size. I currently have Windows installed on my SSD and I want to reinstall it on my nvme drive while removing all partitions on all my other drives. Also, my computer is currently on Legacy boot and using the MBR partition and I would want to use the UEFI boot option and GPT partition. (My motherboard(Asus Prime B-350 Plus) Supports UEFI boot).

To my knowledge, I am supposed to boot to a USB with the Windows installation media on it and proceed from there, but I'm not sure how or at what point I should convert my drive to the GPT partition. Or does the installer automatically convert it to GPT during install?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You don't "do" anything to convert the drive to GPT. Windows will do that itself during the installation based on whether the proper settings are configured for UEFI installation in the BIOS. So long as you don't have any legacy hardware, like old graphics cards or add in cards, or old peripherals like PS2 keyboards or mice, you should be fine to disable the CSM (Compatibility support module) option in the BIOS, enable any UEFI options, disconnect all drives except the drive you are installing FROM and the drive you are installing TO, and using my guide proceed to perform the installation step by step as outlined in the guide.

You can worry about removing all the unwanted partitions from the other drives AFTER you have Windows set up...
You don't "do" anything to convert the drive to GPT. Windows will do that itself during the installation based on whether the proper settings are configured for UEFI installation in the BIOS. So long as you don't have any legacy hardware, like old graphics cards or add in cards, or old peripherals like PS2 keyboards or mice, you should be fine to disable the CSM (Compatibility support module) option in the BIOS, enable any UEFI options, disconnect all drives except the drive you are installing FROM and the drive you are installing TO, and using my guide proceed to perform the installation step by step as outlined in the guide.

You can worry about removing all the unwanted partitions from the other drives AFTER you have Windows set up on the NVME drive and have reconnected them. One step at a time.

Solution

Tinreo

Reputable
Mar 30, 2019

You can worry about removing all the unwanted partitions from the other drives AFTER you have Windows set up on the NVME drive and have reconnected them. One step at a time.

Thank you! I just now reinstalled and my computer is booting and running a lot faster now :)