[SOLVED] Need help wtih buying a new GPU.

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
As the tittle says, I need some help buying a new CPU. For a while now I've been thinking about getting an RTX 2060 super, but recently it changed to a RTX 2070 Super. But now recently I've been seeing about the RX 5700 XT and I want to know if its worth getting this or saving up for a 2070. Now I don't really care for 4k gaming, since I don't have a monitor that supports 4K, but I am looking for 1080 to 1440p at max graphics with least 60 frames. I currently have a RX 580 8gb combined with an R7 2700x and 16 gigs of ram. Is it worth upgrading to any of these, and if so which one?

Edit: My motherboard is a asrock b450m-hdv r4.0, did some research and didnt find the 2070, or the RX 5700 Xt on the list for compatibility, do I have to worry about it.

Last edited:
Solution
If you are on 1080p60hz, you might want to keep that RX580. It still is a solid card for 1080p. You would be wasting money and even more you said you are in a tight budget. My suggestion would be grow your budget and wait for next gen from both Nvidia and AMD. When their low-mid tier cards arrive (probably next year, winter) you can buy both a new monitor and a suitable graphics card. You don't even need to wait until then and buy new gen GPU, old ones will get cheaper when next gen launch.

But for now, even with the recently released games your RX580 will do perfectly fine at 1080p. If you really want to upgrade your gaming experience, you should consider buying a high refresh monitor. 1080p144hz monitors are really cheap. Jumping...
Both the rx 5700xt and 2070 super are 1440p cards.

While the 5700xt has better performance (Per dollar! the 2070 super is faster, just not, well, 100 dollars faster.), the 2070 super has more features, and honestly, less buggy drivers.

As for compatibility, They will both work.
As for other upgrades, 16gigs of ram is enough, and that cpu is, while not being amazing for gaming, its a solid, last gen cpu that i would not both replacing till atleast next gen rolls out.

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
If you are on 1080p60hz, you might want to keep that RX580. It still is a solid card for 1080p. You would be wasting money and even more you said you are in a tight budget. My suggestion would be grow your budget and wait for next gen from both Nvidia and AMD. When their low-mid tier cards arrive (probably next year, winter) you can buy both a new monitor and a suitable graphics card. You don't even need to wait until then and buy new gen GPU, old ones will get cheaper when next gen launch.

But for now, even with the recently released games your RX580 will do perfectly fine at 1080p. If you really want to upgrade your gaming experience, you should consider buying a high refresh monitor. 1080p144hz monitors are really cheap. Jumping from 60hz, you will be amazed.

Reactions: Minipiwi
Solution

Minipiwi

Reputable
Apr 19, 2020
I will definitely do that, my ex 580 is very strong. That's a smart idea. If you wouldn't mind could you send a link for a 1080p 144 monitor? I'm not very good for what brands and such. If not that's ok, thanks for your time!

zolteckx6

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
I'm in the exact same boat. I am paying the extra 100 dollars. Call it a gamble but I believe dlss 2.0 has a very strong future. Anyone have opinions? Counterpoint? What do you think? in this regard.

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
DLSS is Deep Learning Super Sampling. DLSS 1.0 was a lackluster and a failure but Nvidia deliver it with DLSS 2.0. But, with Ampere cards we are most likely going to get DLSS 3.0 which is claimed to be much much better version of 2.0 so another reason to wait. Even if you don't buy a brand new Nvidia Ampere GPU, Turing cards (RTX 2000s) will get cheaper when Ampere released. Since Turing cards already has RT and Tensor cores, they will use DLSS 3.0 as well.

If you wouldn't mind could you send a link for a 1080p 144 monitor? I'm not very good for what brands and such. If not that's ok, thanks for your time!
I'd like to help but that depends on your local market. You need to check online stores or which vendor/seller is safe you think to see if they are selling monitors. For instance I checked Newegg and Amazon and hoozah, 1080p144hz prices are almost identical with good quality 1440p144hz ones. Good job pandemic.

Just for science, from US$280, this seems nice: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C32G1-Frameless-1920x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B07GD7H18F/ Overall quality and features are good. You get a 1500R curved VA panel which is nice, adjustable height, 1080p 144hz, sexy looking design and FreeSync. So you can use adaptive sync tech with an AMD graphics card without an effort but I just search quickly and saw that people can enable G-Sync compatible with it so you probably can use adaptive sync with an Nvidia card too. 1ms response time is gimmick, it's MPRT. Probably sticking with 4ms option would be better with image quality in games.

Only issue is I think it should be cheaper than this but comparing it to other monitors still it is relevant somehow. Good job pandemic x2. Please take my first suggestion, check your local online sellers and find a good value monitor yourself. Definitely read some user reviews on whatever monitor you are looking.

Reactions: zolteckx6

zolteckx6

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
DLSS is Deep Learning Super Sampling. DLSS 1.0 was a lackluster and a failure but Nvidia deliver it with DLSS 2.0. But, with Ampere cards we are most likely going to get DLSS 3.0 which is claimed to be much much better version of 2.0 so another reason to wait. Even if you don't buy a brand new Nvidia Ampere GPU, Turing cards (RTX 2000s) will get cheaper when Ampere released. Since Turing cards already has RT and Tensor cores, they will use DLSS 3.0 as well.

I'd like to help but that depends on your local market. You need to check online stores or which vendor/seller is safe you think to see if they are selling monitors. For instance I checked Newegg and Amazon and hoozah, 1080p144hz prices are almost identical with good quality 1440p144hz ones. Good job pandemic.

Just for science, from US$280, this seems nice: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-C32G1-Frameless-1920x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B07GD7H18F/ Overall quality and features are good. You get a 1500R curved VA panel which is nice, adjustable height, 1080p 144hz, sexy looking design and FreeSync. So you can use adaptive sync tech with an AMD graphics card without an effort but I just search quickly and saw that people can enable G-Sync compatible with it so you probably can use adaptive sync with an Nvidia card too. 1ms response time is gimmick, it's MPRT. Probably sticking with 4ms option would be better with image quality in games.

Only issue is I think it should be cheaper than this but comparing it to other monitors still it is relevant somehow. Good job pandemic x2. Please take my first suggestion, check your local online sellers and find a good value monitor yourself. Definitely read some user reviews on whatever monitor you are looking.
Suppose I'm a little desperate. My 970 just blew 2 mosfets and I got nothing to use atm except on board. When do the 30xx come out? And you are saying the 2070s will upgrade to 3.0 dlss when it arrives?

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
When do the 30xx come out?
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-ampere-all-we-know

We expect 2020Q3 if not delayed because of the pandemic. Mid-tier cards should follow up 3-5 months later.

And you are saying the 2070s will upgrade to 3.0 dlss when it arrives?
All RTX 2000 series graphics cards have Tensor Cores in them. So yeah, when DLSS 3.0 arrives, all of them should be able to support it.

'2070S won't upgrade to DLSS 3.0' because there is no such upgrade exists or needed. DLSS 2.0 came with Nvidia's graphics drivers version 445.75, so anyone using a RTX 2000 graphics cards were able to use it in supported games if they updated the drivers to 445.75 or a newer version. Same should apply to future updates with DLSS 3.0 support.

zolteckx6

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-ampere-all-we-know

We expect 2020Q3 if not delayed because of the pandemic. Mid-tier cards should follow up 3-5 months later.

All RTX 2000 series graphics cards have Tensor Cores in them. So yeah, when DLSS 3.0 arrives, all of them should be able to support it.

'2070S won't upgrade to DLSS 3.0' because there is no such upgrade exists or needed. DLSS 2.0 came with Nvidia's graphics drivers version 445.75, so anyone using a RTX 2000 graphics cards were able to use it in supported games if they updated the drivers to 445.75 or a newer version. Same should apply to future updates with DLSS 3.0 support.
How do you personally feel about the future of dlss?

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Well, I'm neither a technician or an expert on this topic nor a RTX GPU user. But first implementation of Ray Tracing and DLSS was disappointing alltogether. Rumors are saying that Ampere will be 4 times stronger with ray tracing. If it's true then it means Ampere cards will have stronger RT and Tensor cores. More headroom for DLSS to shine for.

DLSS itself is not a selling point or anything. It's simply an upscaling technology that using AI. AMD has somewhat similar, competing technologies. I believe we are going to see more stuff like this in the future but RTX 2000 series was like Windows Vista, just a bridge to a new generation.

Reactions: zolteckx6