Question Need help! Xeon not performing normally

Jul 5, 2022
I really need help on this one, I'm currently using a Xeon e5 2660 v2 which supposed to run from 2.2ghz and up to 3.0ghz. but everytime i use it normally or even stress test it, the clock speed only caps up on 2.6ghz, it never gets any higher at all. I saw people with the same Xeon can run perfectly normal on 3ghz without dropping down at all. After i did a little research on my Xeon, mine is apparently not reaching the normal voltage, around 0.9 volts which is weird considering the Xeon that I compare with goes up to 1.288 volts at 3ghz. Can anyone help me on this? Why is my CPU not running at full power? Is it some kind of bios settings that I don't understand? Thanks for the help!!

If anyone needs any screenshot of my bios or CPU info, just tell me on the thread. FYI the bios is just some generic American megatrends blue-gray screen color bios, so not much settings are accessible in the bios.

My system is running on:
Xeon e5 2660v2
Atermiter X79G Ver 3.1 motherboard
16GB ddr3 1600mhz
Gtx 1060
Aerocool 550W 80+ bronze
120GB SSD with 500GBx2 HDD

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Atermiter X79G Ver 3.1 motherboard
+
I saw people with the same Xeon can run perfectly normal on 3ghz without dropping down at all.

Were these people you speak of, using the same motherboard or the same chipset motherboard but from other (well)known brands like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA and their ilk?

FYI the bios is just some generic American megatrends blue-gray screen color bios, so not much settings are accessible in the bios.
That's why I asked about the source of your information with people running the same processor, a generic board with limited to no support after the sale of the motherboard often tends to leave one questioning why they invested in the platform to begin with.

Might want to see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates. Would also be worthwhile to see if the CPU socket might have any bent or broken pins.

Aerocool 550W 80+ bronze
Model for your PSU? Age of the unit?

What OS are you working with and where did you source the installer for said OS?

@Matteo Darren
https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2660 v2.html

The maximum speed during a stress test when all cores are active is 2600 MHz. It sounds like your CPU is running exactly as Intel designed it to run.

3.0 GHz is only possible when 1 core is active. When more cores become active, it slows down to 2.6 GHz. This is normal and to be expected. Windows has lots of background tasks waking up additional cores so when using most monitoring software, you are not going to see the full 3.0 GHz very often or at all.

The only way to fix this is to buy a different CPU with different specs.

Edit - The Core C states also need to be enabled in the BIOS for Intel Turbo Boost to work correctly.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS