Question Need Help

Jul 10, 2019
Hi,

I have a decent amount of experience with hardware over the years but never built my own system .My son wanted a gaming system for xmas and after looking at price tags I choked and decided to try and build my own. I purchased all the components tried to build it and am unable to get it going. without going into all the detail and being vague and annoying everyone I am hoping to ask more directed questions.

I connected all components to the motherboard (ASRock B450M Pro 4) and I tested my power supply (EVGA 550G2)( it came with a connector to test). However, it doesn't see like the system is powering up.

I connected the memory, SSD, Processor, Video card, and hard drive.

I do have 3 cables coming from my chassis that I am not sure where to put on the Motherboard (Power SW, Led+ and Led -) However, the ATX power connector is properly running from power supply to the motherboard.

My first stupid question of probably many is - Is there a way to troubleshoot the motherboard ? I feel like I need to simplify to just to make sure the power supply is properly powering the motherboard and then proceed to check CPU/Memory/Video/HD

Thank you for any help, hints, or ideas that you can provide.

Thanks

John

Jul 10, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Assuming you have been trying to start it by shorting the motherboard pins? Being as you say the PWR SW is not attached?
What is your full system spec details?

Also, as first port of call, Please see this guide.

Yes, I was trying by shorting the motherboard pins, but i was using the wrong pins...my eyes are too old to see the small writing on the board...I was able to get it powered though...processor fan is moving, power supply fan is moving, video card lit up and fans are moving.

also I looked through that guide, it is extremely helpful and I promise I will go through it in detail, before continually asking questions.....please allow me one more though because my motherboard manual doesn't touch on it:

I am not getting a bios or any other utility on the screen...my monitor does not detect an output signal. I tried both the HDMI and VGA but not the DVI. does the motherboard usually output on all display ports or is there typically a jumper ?

My next troubleshooting based on your guide is to play with the RAM configuration, but based on the manual I believe I put both modules in the correct slots.

Thanks again and I know this is annoyingly repetitive for you guys but it is extremely valuable...I am six months into this project :)

John

ASRock B450M Pro 4
EVGA 550G2
Ryzen 5 2600
Drevo SSD 512GB
WD20EURX
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am not getting a bios or any other utility on the screen...my monitor does not detect an output signal. I tried both the HDMI and VGA but not the DVI. does the motherboard usually output on all display ports or is there typically a jumper ?
You should still get to BIOS if everything is done correctly, it may also serve well only using 1 RAM module inserted as per the MB manual being as you are encountering an issue, as RAM can sometimes cause this issue, it just helps eliminate an error.

Then just follow the guide my friend.
Nothing to apologise for, we're volunteers who want to help at the end of the day!

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Yes, I was trying by shorting the motherboard pins, but i was using the wrong pins...my eyes are too old to see the small writing on the board...I was able to get it powered though...processor fan is moving, power supply fan is moving, video card lit up and fans are moving.

also I looked through that guide, it is extremely helpful and I promise I will go through it in detail, before continually asking questions.....please allow me one more though because my motherboard manual doesn't touch on it:

My next troubleshooting based on your guide is to play with the RAM configuration, but based on the manual I believe I put both modules in the correct slots.

Thanks again and I know this is annoyingly repetitive for you guys but it is extremely valuable...I am six months into this project :)

John

ASRock B450M Pro 4
EVGA 550G2
Ryzen 5 2600
Drevo SSD 512GB
WD20EURX
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000

Are you connecting your HDMI/VGA to the motherboard outs or the GPU outs?

Jul 10, 2019
Are you connecting your HDMI/VGA to the motherboard outs or the GPU outs?

To the motherboard outs. should I try the GPU outs ?

I have done everything in the check list, except I don't have a system speaker. I ordered one yesterday and it is arriving tomorrow, so I will be on hold until then to see if I can get any indication of the issue from the speaker.

For some reason today it power cycles every 30 seconds. I don't remember that happening yesterday. Maybe removing one of the RAM modules is the difference. I also tried a single module in all 4 slots but still don't get any output to video.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
To the motherboard outs. should I try the GPU outs ?

I have done everything in the check list, except I don't have a system speaker. I ordered one yesterday and it is arriving tomorrow, so I will be on hold until then to see if I can get any indication of the issue from the speaker.

For some reason today it power cycles every 30 seconds. I don't remember that happening yesterday. Maybe removing one of the RAM modules is the difference. I also tried a single module in all 4 slots but still don't get any output to video.

Yes, you need to use the GPU outs if you have one connected as the motherboard outs will be bypassed. My advice would be to strip it all back and try it with just the CPU, one stick of RAM and the GPU and see if you can a) get an image and b) get to the BIOS.
Then once that has happened, add in any other RAM/SSD/HDDs . Work component at a time to eliminate suspects.

Bottom line is you won't get video signal from the mobo outs if the GPU is connected.

On that board, dual RAM sticks go in slots A2 and B2.